Hilton College slated for renovations

The Board of Regents unanimously approved renovation for the Conrad N. Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management despite reservations from a board member.

Regent Morgan Dunn O’Connor said at Thursday’s meeting that the $1.95 million funding from the University for the Hilton building renovations would be a source of contention between UH colleges.

"I think that we’re going to have to justify it to everybody else this time in those buildings why we gave this money," she said.

Although O’Connor voted for the renovation, she questioned the decision because the Hilton College receives greater sources of funding compared to other colleges.

"Because donors say when the University isn’t going to put into it, then the University says we’re going to put anything either until the donors put money into it," O’Connor said.

The Hilton College renovations will begin next spring pending the approval of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board in September.

"This is a fairly ambitious construction (project)," Dean of the Hilton College John Bowen said. "We also feel it sits well with the master plan and will create outstanding educational and research opportunities for both our students and faculty."

The renovations for the 1974 building are planned to begin in April and will be completed by June 2010 with a budget of $11.1 million.

"In this project, it’s mainly a 30-year catch up game," Bowen said.

The Board also elected new officers, with Welcome W. Wilson replacing Leroy Hermes as chairman beginning Sept. 1.

Hermes will still be a regent and will continue to head the search committee for the new president and chancellor.

A parking garage was also approved, but no details were disclosed at the meeting.