Ruth Reccomends: Column makes cheap fun easier to come by

Finding the latest, cheapest, most interesting diversions isn’t as easy as it sounds when it comes to Houston’s entertainment scene. When juggling exams, a heavy reading load and that part-time job, sifting through the seemingly endless amount of things to do in a given week may seem a bit overwhelming.

And with a scene as lively as Houston’s it would be foolish not to take time out of your busy schedule and take advantage of the many distractions the city offers college students.

On a student budget, though, going out every week will burn a hole in your pocket pretty fast, so to help ensure that those hard-earned dollars go toward a good cause, this column will provide you with a worthwhile event each Monday.

The column will highlight the happening of the week most worthy of your attention, whether it be the latest symphony arrangement at Jones Hall, a Houston-based artist exhibition at DiverseWorks, a student production at Miller Outdoor Theatre or even a group of must-see disc jockeys or bands stopping through town.

After this long, hard first week back to classes you’ll probably be looking for the perfect spot to let loose and unwind for the weekend.

Fortunately, this weekend brings an event that fuses the latest in contemporary art and music into a night where you can indulge in reasonably priced drinks and the eclectic mix of Asian pop art and light, synth-infused dance grooves.

RED HOT – Asian Art Today from the Chaney Family Collection will serve as a vibrant backdrop for the music as Starbucks presents the second night of the Mixed Media Music Series from 8 p.m. to midnight Saturday at the Audrey Jones Beck Building of the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, 5601 Main St.

More than 100 pieces from 66 contemporary Asian artists including Zhao Bo, Feng Zhengjie and Yin Xluzhen will coat the walls as the DJs spin and the bands play.

New York-based singer and headlining artist Miho Hatori, former member of acid jazz group Cibo Matto, is sure to impress with her soothing synth-influenced, bossa nova sound laced with quirky rhythms and distinct tones.

Swedish punk rockers Glasnost will break the ice along with resident DJ Ceeplus Bad Knives and hip-hop DJ Dayta for the opening acts.

The event is open to those over 18, free for MFAH members and $15 for the general public.

Complimentary Starbucks beverages and cash bar are also available each event.