UH seeking research star for IBIS seat

The Institute for Biomedical Imaging Science, an interdisciplinary partnership formed by the University of Houston, The Methodist Hospital and Weill Cornell Medical College, is creating a new honorary research position to enhance studies in cardiovascular and neurological imaging.

The position is being funded by a $1 million grant from the John S. Dunn Research Foundation, founded in 1977 to advance biomedical research in the Houston area.

"The faculty member who will hold the Dunn Chair will be well-known for contributions to imaging science and will possess the research and leadership capabilities needed to facilitate the union of imaging resources at UH, The Methodist Hospital and Weill Cornell Medical College," Vice President for Academic Affairs Donald Foss said in a release. "We will do a national search for an outstanding teacher and scientist and will also look for leadership capabilities."

Created in January, IBIS was formed to pool research to further medical imaging technology. Currently, the partnership consists of 46 UH members, 11 from Methodist and eight from Weill Cornell.

The Dunn Chair is expected to help advance research in three key fields of imaging science: neuroimaging, cardiovascular imaging and other areas of development that help scientists understand neurological disorders that affect learning and memory.

Neuroimaging involves the study of sensory processing, and cardiovascular imaging can help identify the risk of heart attack in patients.

UH Vice President of Research Donald Birx said that the goal of the Dunn Chair is to produce a nationally recognized leader in imaging studies and research.

The Dunn Chair will also help bring together research efforts from the three participating institutions of IBIS as well as help secure major grants and funding from such organizations as the National Institutes of Health and the National Science Foundation.

"The impact of the Dunn Chair goes beyond just the faculty," associate professor and chairman of the IBIS Steering Committee Ioannis Kakadiaris said. "All of our research impacts the students, and we are thankful to Dr. Foss for contacting the Dunn Foundation and securing this grant."

Foss said that the Dunn Chair would also provide a welcome addition to UH faculty.

"Adding excellent faculty is perhaps the most important thing that we can do for students, and it adds to the already great value of a UH degree," Foss said in a release. "In this case it will also give students the chance to learn from and work with a top leader in an emerging field."