Fighting words

THE ISSUE a True or False: The Texans crack .500 or better this season

by Ronnie Turner No. Flat out no.

False. The Texans are a slightly improved team with the additions of Matt Schaub and Ahman Green to the offense and the return of DeMeco Ryans, but they still lack production: the offensive and defensive lines.

The Texans’ offensive line has been the league’s biggest joke since the team’s inaugural season in 2002, and the defensive line is stocked with underachievers.

The struggles of the defensive line are puzzling because the Texans have invested plenty of money in this area. The team used its first-round pick on a defensive lineman in the last three drafts--Travis Johnson (2005), Mario Williams (2006), Amobi Okoye (2007) – but it remains to be seen whether these three will ever play up to their potential.

Schaub and Green should make the offense better, and as long as Schaub manages to run and get rid of the ball quickly, the offensive line’ struggles won’t be magnified. But unless the defensive line plays up to its potential this season, the most the Texans can expect is seven wins.

by Eric Llobet It’s a long shot, but …

No sir. It’s about more than how Schaub, Green, or Okoye will fare. It’s about Houston’s perennial loser mentality … that vibe around the locker room when a team understands how crappy they are. There is no way that a sophomore head coach, an unproven backup quarterback, an aging runner and a shy superstar wide receiver can turn that around.

What the Texans really need is a true-born leader – a champion – and they certainly did not get one this offseason. The Texans have never really had a vocal leader. Some might argue that David Carr was one, but the truth is that he was forced into that role and never really looked comfortable in it.

I can only pray that Jacoby Jones is the real deal. Perhaps then we could give Andre Johnson some breathing room in the opposing team’s secondary, not to mention wider lanes for Green. This is, of course, if the offensive line decides to step up this season without the help of promising tackle Charles Spencer.

I have confidence the defense will come into its own, but it is the offense that will ultimately decide the outcome of this season.

by Jong Lee Our Fearless Leader will win it!

I have the Texans finishing second in this division. They drastically improved during the offseason thanks to GM Rick Smith. The additions of Michael Boulware, Jordan Black, Ahman Green and Matt Schaub will help this team finish with eight or nine wins.

Schaub is everything Carr wasn’t – a leader, dedicated quarterback and the first to practice and last to leave.

I think they’ve gotten better on both sides of the ball. Defensive tackle Travis Johnson has shed a few pounds and finally looks like the first-round pick that he was supposed to be. Defensive end Mario Williams will not be playing with plantar fasciitis this season, and that should increase his sack totals to at least eight. Rookie defensive tackle Amobi Okoye looked great in preseason and will make an immediate impact on this team.

The only glaring weakness is the secondary. Cornerback Dunta Robinson is the only good cover defensive back they have. Safety C.C. Brown and DeMarcus Faggins are liabilities, but Boulware should help them.

by Judge Dredd Forget the Texans. Go Dolphins!

Jong, in your list of teams the Texans would lose to, I didn’t seem to notice any mention of the Miami Dolphins. How dare you display such insolence?

I’m sure by now most readers know Judge Dredd is a Dolphins fan, and insinuating that the Texans will beat them this year is unforgivable. For that, you are disqualified.

Judge Dredd predicts the Texans will win seven games this season. However, he acknowledges that reaching .500 is a possibility.

Judge Dredd applauds Eric for pointing out the Texans’ lack of that figurehead. If they can get that out of Schaub, things could turn around for this team. Even that, however, will not be enough to give them the edge they need to compete with the revamped Dolphins squad that could finally have an offense to compliment its All-Star defense, with NFL Defensive MVP Jason Taylor and former habitual Pro-Bowlers Zach Thomas, Joey Porter, Will Allen, Vonnie Holliday and Keith Traylor.

For secretly acknowledging the Texans’ inferiority to the Dolphins, Ronnie wins this round.