Teams sprint to College Station for Invitational

The cross country teams will be racing in the Texas A’M Invitational on Saturday, in what head coach Ryan Turner said is an important meet for both of his teams.

"We are going to run against some really good programs," Turner said. "It’s going to be a big meet."

Turner knows that his teams are starting to run to their full potential, which is why he wants them to get their due credit.

"I think it’s time that we show that we deserve a ranking in our region, which is the top 15 teams in the South Central Region," Turner said. "That’s a goal of ours, we want to show people that we have a team worthy of a ranking. I think we kind of have a little something to prove."

The men’s team will be running an individual 8K, while the women’s team will be running an individual 5K.

Other teams participating in the race include Texas A’M, TCU, Lamar and Sam Houston State.

Sophomore men’s runner Daniel Martinez knows that the competition is tough, but that his team is prepared for the race.

"There will be some good teams, but I think we have come a long way since our first meet that was at Baylor," Martinez said. "Some of the same teams are there and we definitely have a better chance of racing against them and competing."

Sophomore women’s team runner Jessica Cook realizes the host school’s team has tough competition, but has confidence in her own team.

"The (A’M) girls are pretty strong, they have a lot of depth," Cook said. "We can’t base our performance on the other teams, but we can prepare for where we are going to be running."

Texas A’M Invitational will begin at 7:45 a.m. Saturday in College Station.