Job search difficult, but possible for the disabled

Job hunting for every student is difficult, but social barriers and stigmas are obstacles that every disabled person faces in seeking employment.

A University Career Services respresentative said Thursday at the organization’s first workshop for disabled students that being candid with prospective employers and investing extra time and effort can help ease the job search.

"The job search is difficult for everybody, even people without disabilities," Susan C. Hlavac, assistant director for career counseling, said.

The chief concern for students attending the workshop was when and where to disclose their disabilities. The Americans with Disabilities Act applies to employers and applicants; therefore, applicants are not required to disclose their disabilities if there isn’t a need, Hlavac said.

Senior Career Counselor Karen Bradshaw said addressing the topic can have benefits, however.

"If you’re comfortable sharing your disability because you feel it will make things more comfortable, you should disclose it," she said.

Hlavac agreed there are benefits to disclosing the information, as "your comfort makes the employer comfortable," she said.

To prep the students for their job search, Hlavac advised that people with disabilities should hunt for jobs "traditionally" – looking for openings using newspapers, online searches, classifieds, sending resumes and going to employment agencies.

"Monster.com gets 2,000 resumes within three days (of the job) being posted. That’s steep competition, for people with and without disabilities," Hlavac said. "Seventy to 80 percent of jobs are not advertised anywhere – they are filled by the aggressive people, people who walk in at the right time, through word of mouth and direct contact with the employer."

For employers without a listed opening, Hlavac advised to follow up with them on a regular basis.

"Get involved. Network while you’re still in school," she said.

Hlavac also said one of the most important advantages was to have a specific job in mind.

"You’ll find something a lot faster if you have a target," she said.

Hlavac said that an average person takes about six months to find a job, and it takes even longer for a person with disabilities.

"Spend double the amount of time that you normally spend looking for a job – you’ll find one twice as fast," she said.

Hlavac said that overall students with disabilities should focus on the positive.

"If the employer has any fears, they will not hire you. The employer doesn’t know how you deal with your disability on a daily basis. They’re not imaginative about that," she said.

Students were receptive to the advice delivered.

"The presenter gave good examples on the viewpoints from employers who consider hiring people with disabilities," biology junior Irene Young said. "Thanks to this workshop, I know how to ease employers’ fears about hiring people with disabilities."

More information on University Career Services is available at www.career.uh.edu.