Houston gears up against ECU

The Cougars have won five straight at home dating from last season and will look to extend their streak Saturday at Robertson Stadium when they take on the East Carolina Pirates.

Head coach Art Briles is not taking this game lightly, even though the Cougars (2-1, 1-0 Conference USA) have gone 2-0 against the Pirates during his tenure.

Houston won the last meeting between the teams, a 34-24 victory at Robertson Stadium in 2004, but is 3-4 against East Carolina (1-3, 0-1 C-USA) all-time.

"They are a formidable opponent. They played some very tough teams to open the season," Briles said. "I am sure they are shaking themselves off and getting ready for a conference run."

Saturday’s game will be the second C-USA game of the season for both teams.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Case Keenum is aware that C-USA teams will put in extra effort against the championship team he now leads.

"They’re out there trying to get better. Being conference champions, we’re going to have a target on our backs, we’re going to get the best out of everybody," Keenum said.

One of the biggest challenges in the game will be the Pirates’ size, but the Cougars will battle back with a solid defense, Briles said.

The Cougar defense has allowed 178.7 rushing yards and 376 total yards per game, but showed improvement in the game against Colorado State, giving up only 115 rushing yards.

"They’re a lot bigger than Colorado State. They like big people. When they recruit, if you aren’t big they aren’t taking you," Briles said. "(The defense) will just keep playing like they’re playing. I thought they did a great job playing fast and with toughness last week."

One integral part of Houston’s game plan is having the fans there to support the team.

Senior nose tackle Tate Stewart knows what having a supportive crowd can achieve.

"Since I’ve been here … we’ve struggled with fan attendance, and it really can make a difference," Stewart said. "Whenever you see all those students and fans out there going all out, that’s incredible, no doubt about it."

In celebration of All UH Day, faculty and staff can purchase half-price advance tickets, and all UH System students will receive free admission to Saturday’s game.

Briles said that student attendance will have an impact on the game like it did last week against Colorado State when attendance reached 22,468.

"Our crowd, our student section in particular, was especially supportive even when we didn’t give them a lot of reason to be early on," Briles said. "They stuck with us. They showed a lot of resiliency, faith and hope, just like our football team did. We have a tough crowd and a tough team."