Fighting Words

Issue: How long will the New England Patriots remain undefeated?

Pats’ll hit a wall against ‘Skins

Chief Achilefu

If the Patriots aren’t the best team in the league, they’re definitely the smartest after making the trade of the century in which they acquired Randy Moss for a future fourth round draft pick. Quarterback Tom Brady is putting up career numbers and the revitalized Moss looks like the player that made him a star early on with the Minnesota Vikings.

The fact of the matter is that if going undefeated were so easy, the 1972 Miami Dolphins wouldn’t have been the only team to do so. The Patriots lost to the Colts last year and will have revenge on their minds-so much so that they’ll be looking past their Week 8 match up with the Washington Redskins-in other words a trap game.

Redskins’ Jason Campbell is too young and cool to get nervous. This was evident when he went to Philadelphia a couple of weeks ago and beat the Eagles in his Monday Night Football debut.

Grade: F –

Colts are underappreciated

Ronnie Turner

What’s this about the Patriots perhaps being the best team in the NFL? I know the national media is already on the "Patriots for perfect 16-0 season and Super Bowl title" bandwagon, but the reigning Super Bowl champion Indianapolis was also doing well the last time I checked. As a matter of fact, the Colts are 4-0, same as the Patriots.

The two teams will meet during Week 9 in Indianapolis with the Patriots sporting an 8-0 record and the Colts coming in 7-0. The Patriots will put up a good fight, but the Colts will win on a last-second field goal from kicker Adam Vinatieri.

Honestly, the Colts aren’t getting enough praise for their 4-0 start. Three of the four teams the Colts have beaten are currently .500 or better. The Patriots, on the other hand, have defeated teams with a combined 4-12 record.

Grade: F –

<b.Dolphin lovin'

Jong Le

Hey Chief, the Patriots won’t lose to the Washington Redskins, especially in Foxborough, Mass. You have to be crazy to believe the fans there will just let the Redskins come in and beat their team at Gillette Stadium.

The last time New England lost a regular season game was in Miami. On Oct. 21, when the Patriots will get trapped. Not by the Redskins and not by the Colts.

The 0-4 Dolphins seem to be headed for the top of the draft for 2008, but the Dolphins will definitely be ready for the Patriots. Running back Ronnie Brown is having a good season and the Dolphins defense can be more than adequate to take on Tom Brady and Randy Moss.

Last time the Patriots lost a road game in the regular season was against Miami. That has to count for something,

The Patriots are good, but the closest we will see to 16-0 was the 2005 Indianapolis Colts.

Grade: F –

Reality check: Fins suck

Judge Dredd

After reading Jong’s response Judge Dredd was nearly brought to tears, but then he remembered how girly it is to cry.

Any other year a Fighting Words submission praising the Fins would merit an automatic win for the columnist. Any other year Judge Dredd would have hope for his team, but not this year.

For four consecutive weeks, Dredd woke up early on Sunday, put on his Dolphins attire and drove to Buffalo Wild Wings in Rice Village, only to watch his team lose in a way they’ve never lost before – defensively.

Judge Dredd is disgusted!

New England will lose against Dallas in Week 6. Yeah, that’s right, an NFC team.

Verdict: Because Jong reminded Judge Dredd how horrible the Dolphins are under Cam "The Worst Coach Ever" Cameron, everyone loses this round of Fighting Words.

The winner: Your Mom

Face Time: Judge Dredd wants Zach Thomas to recover from his concussion.