Fantasy football checks into reality

The 2007 NFL season is officially one quarter of the way finished, and fantasy football owners have seen some pleasant surprises along with some complete busts this season.

Who would have thought that Tony Romo would be mentioned in the same breath as Tom Brady and Peyton Manning? Or that Derrick Ward and Sammy Morris would have more rushing yards than Larry Johnson? If you don’t know who Ward or Morris are, I just made my point.

I’ve had some success early this season in my fantasy league, and I wouldn’t be a good sports journalist if I didn’t pass on some of my knowledge. Here are three players that fantasy owners should pick up if they’re available and three others that you should avoid at all costs.

Start ’em

Kurt Warner, QB, Arizona Cardinals:

First year head coach Ken Whisenhunt’s life just became a whole lot easier. He had been using a two-quarterback system with Warner and second year player Matt Leinart.

Leinart was the starter, but Warner was more effective when he was on the field, causing Whisenhunt to play both. Leinart suffered a broken collarbone last Sunday and is out for an extended period of time.

It also doesn’t hurt that Warner has targets like Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin to throw the ball to.

Marion Barber III, RB, Dallas Cowboys:

This guy does nothing but score touchdowns. Last season he was third in the NFL in touchdowns behind LaDainian Tomlinson and Larry Johnson with less than half the carries. People might shy away from him because he splits time with Julius Jones, but Barber is a machine inside the red zone. This season he’s currently second in the league with five touchdowns.

Andre Davis, WR, Houston Texans:

After beginning the season on the practice squad, Davis has made the most of his opportunities with Pro Bowl wide receiver Andre Johnson being out with a knee injury. On Sept. 30 against the Atlanta Falcons, Davis caught five passes for 117 yards and a touchdown.

He followed that up with four catches and 79 yards in a win against the Miami Dolphins. That number would have been a lot more if not for two costly penalties. Texans quarterback Matt Schaub seems to like throwing the ball Davis’ way. As long as he keeps making plays, you can’t blame him.

Sit ’em

Vince Young QB, Tennessee Titans:

Now just here me out, people. Young is an incredibly gifted quarterback that does nothing but win, but he doesn’t win any fantasy points. In last weeks 20-13 victory over Atlanta, Young threw three interceptions and had a quarterback rating of 34.5. Young now has five interceptions to only three touchdown passes on the season.

Reggie Bush RB,

New Orleans Saints:

I bet former Texans general manager Charlie Casserly doesn’t look so crazy now. With Deuce McAllister out for the season, Bush got his first real chance Sunday to prove he can be an every-down running back. He had season-highs of 21 carries and 67 yards, but I’m still not sold on Bush. He also has the ability to catch the ball and pick up receiving yards, but through four games Bush is only averaging five reception yards per contest.

Any WR on the Patriots not named Randy Moss:

It’s no secret that Patriots quarterback Tom Brady likes to spread the wealth when it comes to throwing to his receivers. This season Brady and Randy Moss have become the most potent connection in the NFL, leaving few touches for the other wide receivers. Moss leads the league with seven touchdown receptions. All other wide receivers on New England have a total of just two touchdown receptions. Stay away from the Pats.