Hilton to improve archives, library

The Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant management has received a $1.5 million gift from the Massad family that will significantly enhance the college’s library and archive facilities.

Renovation will being in May 2008 and is expected to be completed by August 2008, when

the venue will be renamed the Massad Family Library and Hospitality Archives after the donor’s family.

"The college changed my life," said Nick Massad in a press release. "When I graduated, I always said that one day I would give something back."

Located in the south wing of the college, the archives are stored in a small room off the main library. The area, which will begin in May 2008, will provide a venue for students to study and network as well as house the archives.

Since the students will be using the facilities, the college will consult with students to develop the archive and library design and functionality, Hilton College librarian Grace Gu said.

"We want to build an environment that will benefit the students," she said. "We will hold extensive focus groups and the students’ input will mean a lot."

Hotel and restaurant management senior Etin Lu said he would be willing to participate in these discussions. Lu said he has used the archives and that more computers and power outlets should be added.

"There is a limited amount of computers in the library, so most of the time they are occupied," Lu said. "And with a limited number of outlets, there is not always the option to bring your own computer."

Gu said students often complain about the noise in the library – an issue that will be discussed in the focus groups.

"I feel like people come in here to socialize more than study," hotel and restaurant management senior Nancy Mensah said. "I think there need to be more places to connect laptops and more quiet areas where we can get work done."

Many students only use the library to access reserved materials for their classes.

"There are very few students who have used the archives," Gu said. "Most students do their own readings (in the library), and about two-thirds of those who come in use the reserved materials."

The library is not the first choice for some students.

"I only come to the library a couple times each month," hotel and restaurant management senior Didi Itauma said. "I’ve never really used any of the resources available."

The archive room is currently underused by students and is mainly serving only the hotel and restaurant industries, Gu said.

"Our plan is to digitize records to make them more visible," Gu said.

Due to some privacy laws, the public can not view all archives, and permission is needed to view most of them. However, all photographs included in the collection will be digitized for easier access by the students, Gu said.

Richard Bentke, a hotel and restaurant management senior and vice president of the college ambassadors, said easier access is needed.

In addition to the construction, the college also expects to acquire more corporate archives with the donation.

"We definitely want to grow," Hilton College Director of Communications Debbie Maurer said. "We hope to be getting more corporate archives from companies like the Four Seasons and Marriot as well as more oral history from these businesses."

Currently, the collection includes items from Conrad N. Hilton such as records, news clippings, print advertisements and personal memorabilia such as his golf clubs.

"We also have scrapbooks of (Hilton) hotel openings, which contain many photographs," Gu said. "And of course most visitors want to see the wedding album of Nicky Hilton and Elizabeth Taylor, so that is always on display."

Also in the collection are archives of personal and corporate documents, including correspondence, photographs, postcards, annual reports and blueprints from some of the hotel industry’s most influential names. These include Holiday Inns founder Kemmons Wilson, Four Seasons Hotels chairman Isadore Sharp and past chairman of Gaylord Entertainment Michael Rose.

The college has built relationships with these top names through their Hospitality Industry Hall of Honor, which was established in 1995 to recognize leaders in the industry, according to the Hilton College Web site.

Along with the Massad family’s donation, the school will receive $560,000 from the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation and $350,000 from the University for the project.