Goin’ deep: Avoid the obvious with fantasy football

Week six in the NFL was a good one for fantasy owners if they had guys like Tom Brady or LaDainian Tomlinson. But let’s be honest – telling you to start those guys is like telling Michael Vick he probably shouldn’t apply for a job at PetSmart anytime soon.

No, it’s more of a challenge to tell you why you should start a wide receiver with no touchdown catches and sit a starting quarterback whose team leads the division.

These sleeper picks should also add an element of surprise to fantasy football leagues this weekend.

Start ‘Em

Jason Campbell, QB, Washington Redskins:

The Redskins are at home this week against the Arizona Cardinals – the same Cardinals team that got torched on Sunday by Carolina Panthers’ Vinny Testaverde, who got out of his rocking chair to win on the road 25-10. When you compare the two quarterbacks, Campbell is twice as good and half his age. You do the math.

Shaun Alexander, RB, Seattle Seahawks:

Saying that Alexander has been less than spectacular this season would be a compliment. But if there was ever a week for him to break out, it would be this Sunday at home against a St. Louis Rams defense that is ranked 27 out of 32 teams in stopping the run. No wonder they’re 0-6.

Sit ‘Em

Marshawn Lynch, RB, Buffalo Bills:

The rookie from California has rushed out of the gates, scoring a touchdown in three of his first five games. But this week, Lynch gets the task of going against the Ravens, who have the league’s fifth-ranked rush defense. With the Ravens’ defense coming off a 22-3 victory over the winless Rams, look for Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs to close the gaps quickly, keeping Lynch’s fantasy value at a minimum.

Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Pittsburgh Steelers:

The Steelers will be traveling to Denver to take on the best pass defense in the NFL, which doesn’t bode well for Roethlisberger. Denver has given up a meager 145 passing yards per game. With running back Willie Parker punishing the Denver front line all day, don’t expect Roethlisberger to air it out.

Sleeper Picks

Jeff Garcia, QB, Tampa Bay:

With his team off to a 4-2 start and tied for first place with the Panthers in the weak NFC South, Garcia has 5 touchdown passes and has yet to throw an interception this season. With no rushing attack thanks to Carnell "Cadillac" Williams’ season-ending knee injury, Garcia will look for wide receivers Joey Galloway and Michael Clayton often as the Bucs tear apart the Lion secondary, which is ranked 30th in the league against the pass.

Jerricho Cotchery, WR, New York Jets:

Cotchery has 485 receiving yards this season, which is more than household names such as Terrell Owens and Reggie Wayne.

The only thing is that he doesn’t have a single touchdown reception to show for it.

The Jets are going to Cincinnati to play a Bengals defense that gives up 247.4 passing yards per game – good for 28th in the league. This might be the week Jerricho tears that wall down, especially since the Jets are 1-4 and ready for a break-out week.