Scott’s saves cannot stop skid

The Cougars ended the first half of their four-game road trip with losses to Conference USA rivals Marshall and East Carolina, stretching their losing streak to seven.

Marshall’s 2-0 win over Houston (4-9-1, 0-5-0 Conference USA) on Sunday ended its six-game losing streak and notched its first C-USA win.

Junior goalkeeper Shelby Scott recorded five saves, boosting her career-total to 196 saves and making her the UH all-time leader in saves.

Scott shattered the previous record of 188 saves Friday against East Carolina.

Marshall (4-9-1, 1-3-1 C-USA) outshot Houston 15-7 with seven shots on goal to Houston’s two, recorded by freshman forward Lauri Byrne and junior midfielder Christine Nieva.

Thundering Herd sophomore forward Molly Snead got Marshall on the board in the ninth minute, when she dribbled past the defense from 30-yards out and blasted the ball into the left side of the goal.

Snead’s goal marked her third of the season for Marshall.

In the 75th minute Herd senior midfielder Sara Burdick received her second yellow card and the resulting red card left Marshall with one less player.

Herd senior forward Kassie Hollman took advantage of Marshall’s momentum in the 87th minute with an insurance goal.

The Cougars suffered their first shutout loss of the weekend against East Carolina (9-2-3, 3-1-1 C-USA) on Friday.

The Pirates improved to 7-0 at home for the season and 5-0-0 all-time against the Cougars.

Junior defender Meagan Kiphart, freshman forward Islara Rodriguez and Byrne recorded Houston’s three shots on goal.

Scott made seven saves and had a busy night against ECU’s as UH was outshot 16-4.

ECU had 10 shots on goal and scored all three goals in the first half.

Pirates junior forward Blair Heffner recorded her fifth goal of the season in the 12th minute when she scored off a header from junior defender Nicole Moore.

Freshman forward Tricia Tufts scored in the 37th minute.ECU’s final goal was tallied in the 45th minute when freshman midfielder Regan Sigler recorded her fist goal of the season off a rebound from sophomore forward Alexis Foltz’s shot.