C-USA notebook: Woes continue for SMU coach

Southern Methodist head coach Phil Bennett knows that his job security is on shaky ground. However, he would rather not talk about it.

Following SMU’s 41-34 overtime loss to Tulane on Saturday that dropped the Mustangs to 1-6 and 0-3 in Conference USA, Bennett was asked if he was worried about his job.

"Next question," Bennett said, as reported by the Dallas Morning News.

When asked to assess his performance, Bennett’s response was the same: "Next question."

Needless to say, Bennett probably won’t address any more questions about his job status. But with his inevitable termination looming, he might not have to.

Bennett, 18-47 in five-plus seasons at SMU, was on the hot seat before the season began. The only way he could feasibly keep his job for a seventh season was to direct the Mustangs to their first postseason bowl since 1984.

His only shot at achieving that goal is for SMU to go undefeated in its five remaining games. One more loss means the Mustangs, currently on a five-game losing streak, are out of postseason contention and Bennett is likely out of a job.

The Mustangs’ prospects aren’t great, but they are enough to keep SMU athletic director Steve Orsini, who was not available for comment following Saturday’s loss, from making a coaching change.

"My position has not changed," Orsini said Oct. 15 through a school spokesman. "Our goal of reaching a bowl this season is still attainable, and as long as that’s the case, I’m not going to engage in public speculation. We remain committed to becoming a Top 25 program and fully support our student athletes as they work toward those goals."

Having to go 5-0 over the remainder of the season to save one’s job? That leaves Bennett with no room for error.

Reserves get it done

Houston senior running back Anthony Alridge rushed for 111 yards and two touchdowns on 17 carries in the Cougars’ 49-10 win over Alabama-Birmingham on Saturday. Because the game was decided long before the second half, Alridge was able to sit back and watch his backups go to work in the final one-and-a-half quarters.

And did they ever go to work. Redshirt freshman Andre Kohn rushed for 74 yards and his first career touchdown on 11 carries, and true freshman Terrance Ganaway rushed for 67 yards and a touchdown on 15 carries.

Alridge was so impressed with Kohn and Ganaway that he was willing to distract attention from his outstanding performance.

"My highlight was when Kohn scored the touchdown," Alridge told the Houston Chronicle. "Hopefully seeing him and ‘T.G.’ develop will limit my touches so we can use me only when necessary."

Back in the groove

Central Florida senior running back Kevin Smith was shut down in the Golden Knights’ loss to Associated Press No. 11 South Florida on Oct. 13 and held to a season-low 55 rushing yards on 18 carries.

Against Tulsa on Saturday, Smith was back to his old self.

Smith scorched the Golden Hurricane defense for 170 rushing yards and four touchdowns (3 rushing, 1 receiving) in Central Florida’s 44-23 win. He finished with 33 carries, averaging 5.2 yards per carry.

"You can’t say enough about Kevin Smith with some of the runs he ripped off today," Central Florida head coach George O’Leary told the Associated Press. "I don’t think I’m going to turn around and promote him for the Heisman – I’ll let (the media) do that – but I think it hurt him (in the Heisman race) not having a good game against South Florida."

The 6-1, 211-pound Smith may not win the Heisman Trophy, but he’ll draw some serious attention from NFL scouts, especially if he continues his amazing run of dominance. Through seven games, he has rushed for 1,085 yards and 14 touchdowns. He has also caught 12 passes for 137 yards and a touchdown.

Smith is the Football Bowl Subdivision’s second-leading rusher (155 yards per game).

Schwartz takes the prize

Houston senior free safety Rocky Schwartz was named C-USA Co-Defensive Player of the Week on Monday. He shares the award with Central Florida redshirt freshman defensive end Bruce Miller, who registered nine tackles and two sacks in the Golden Knights 44-23 win over Tulsa.

Schwartz played a heavy hand in the Cougars’ 49-10 victory over UAB, recording two interceptions and three tackles.

After seven games, Schwartz leads the Cougars with 56 tackles and tied for the interceptions lead (two) with two others. He joins junior strong safety Kenneth Fontenette as the only Cougars to be named C-USA Defensive Player of the Week this season.

Quote to note

Tulane senior running back Matt Fort’eacute; left teammates and fans in awe with a C-USA and school-record 342-yard rushing performance and four touchdowns in the Green Wave’s 41-34 win over SMU on Saturday.

It also left head coach Bob Toledo in awe.

"Matt, what can you say?" Toledo told the Times Picayune of New Orleans. "That was an unbelievable performance. The guy carries the football team on his shoulders. He had some long runs. He’s physical. He should have thrown a touchdown pass. He scores four touchdowns. He has (342) yards. What more can you say about the guy? He’s a great, great football player."

Fort’eacute;, who was named C-USA Offensive Player of the Week on Monday, has rushed for 1,261 yards and 13 touchdowns after seven games. He has also snagged 21 receptions for 182 yards.

Fort’eacute; is averaging just over 180 yards per game, which leads all Football Bowl Subdivision rushers.

He’ll garner some serious consideration for C-USA Offensive Player of the Year, provided that Tulane (2-5, 1-2 C-USA) can pick up a few more victories.

Extra points

Memphis senior running back Joseph Doss ran for a career-high 175 yards and a touchdown in the Tigers’ 38-35 win over Rice on Saturday. … Central Florida junior running back Kevin Smith rushed for 170 yards and scored four touchdowns in the Golden Knights’ 44-23 win over Tulsa on Saturday, boosting him past former Central Florida running back Willie English for second on the program’s all-time list for career rushing touchdowns (30) and rushing yards (3,197). … Rice junior quarterback Chase Clement tossed four touchdown passes in the Owls’ 38-35 loss to Memphis, placing him in a tie with Randy Hertel for the school record (38). Junior wide receiver Jarrett Dillard snagged three of those touchdown passes, marking the fifth time he has tied the school record for touchdown receptions in a game. … Tulane’s 41-34 overtime victory over SMU on Saturday snapped the Green Wave’s C-USA eight-game road losing streak. … Tulane senior running back Matt Fort’eacute; surpassed the 200-yard rushing mark for the third consecutive game with 342 yards against SMU on Saturday.