UH student dies, cause undetermined

UH Police Chief Malcolm Davis said he does not believe foul play was involved in a student’s death Saturday afternoon.

"There were no signs of foul play, no suicide attempt, nothing to show that anything was done to him," Davis said.

Music junior Ryan Donaghy did not wake up after visiting an unidentified student at Cougar Place on Saturday morning.

He went to a local Burger King at approximately 8 a.m. or 9 a.m., Davis said.

After returning, the two students then went back to sleep for approximately eight to nine hours, he said. When Donaghy did not wake up at approximately 4:30 p.m., his friend called 911.

"The student reported (Donaghy) was looking bluish and that was when he called 911," Davis said.

Donaghy was taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital and pronounced dead.

An official cause of death has not been determined, although an autopsy was performed on Sunday, Davis said.

The student who made the call told paramedics the two had been using drugs during the day, UHPD reported.

Davis said marijuana had been found at the scene as well as prescription drugs, but did not elaborate on the types of medications found.

The unidentified student was issued a referral for drug possession.

The Harris County Medical Examiner has not yet released any details about the autopsy.

The results will be publicly released in a few days or weeks, depending on the case, Davis said.

"The Harris County Medical Examiner’s office has performed an autopsy but has yet to issue an official cause of death," University spokesman Eric Gerber said in a press release.

UHPD will call the medical examiner every three days to receive updates on the results of the report, Davis said.

Associate Dean of Students Kamran Riaz notified Donaghy’s parents of the death, Davis said.