Goin’ deep: Get over the mid-season blues with these fantasy picks

With fantasy football mid-season coming upon us, each week becomes more and more important for many fantasy owners who are looking to make it to the playoffs.

This week, we will tell you why you should bench a top-three draft pick and replace him with one that didn’t play a game last year if you want to stay on course to make the playoffs.

SIT ‘EM

Philip Rivers, QB, San Diego Chargers:

Rivers is coming off what could be one of the worst games of his career. Last week, Rivers threw for a meager 197 yards with no touchdowns and an interception against a pass defense ranked last in the NFL.

This week, Rivers faces a tough matchup against the Colts, who are ranked second in the league against the pass. Look for the Colts to come out furious after suffering their first loss of the season against the Pats.

Steven Jackson, RB, St. Louis Rams:

Coming off a bye week, Jackson will start for the Rams, but that doesn’t mean he should be starting for you. Many fantasy owners used and wasted their second overall picks on him, but don’t feel obligated to let him drag your team down.

There has only been a single, 100-yard rusher against the Saints front-line this season and that was Colts running back Joseph Addai in week one. The Rams should fall behind early, taking Jackson out of the equation.

START ‘EM

Drew Brees, QB, New Orleans Saints:

The Drew Brees that had fantasy owners salivating before the start of the season has finally shown up. Brees only had one touchdown pass to go along with nine interceptions through the first four games of the season.

Since then he’s thrown 11 touchdowns with one pick mixed in between. This Sunday the Saints are at home against the 0-8 St. Louis Rams. Need we say more?

Bobby Engram, WR, Seattle Seahawks:

With the Patriots going into their bye week, chances are you’ll probably be looking for a short-term wide receiver.

Engram is coming off a performance in which he caught 14 passes for 139 yards and a touchdown. With running back Shaun Alexander continuing to be ineffective, expect quarterback Matt Hasselbeck to look Engram’s way often.

Sleepers

Justin Fargas, RB, Oakland Raiders:

Fargas has risen to the top of what has been a logjam at running back. He has averaged 5.4 yards per carry and received praise from head coach Lane Kiffin in an interview Monday with the Contra Costa Times after his 104-yard performance and a touchdown this past Sunday.

Fargas could prove to be a low-risk, high-reward type of acquisition.

Priest Holmes, RB, Kansas City Chiefs:

Yes, this is the same Priest Holmes that didn’t play a single snap last season after suffering a neck injury that nearly ended his career.

Denver is ranked last in the NFL in rushing defense. With Chiefs star running back Larry Johnson on the shelf for at least a week, Holmes will likely shoulder the load.