Guest column: Second-hand smoke requires strict rules

Nothing is worse than walking through clouds of cigarette smoke on the way to class. Not only do our lungs have to endure the impure Houston air, but at the University of Houston, a college that boasts its sports, dodging clouds of second-hand smoke becomes a sport in itself. Furthermore, with allergies, pollution and other impurities already in the air, smokers should practice more common courtesy as well as adhere to UH smoking laws to promote a healthier campus.

It may be a shock for you to learn that the University has guidelines for smoking. What may not be a shock is that many do not adhere to these guidelines. Even though the guidelines’ goal is to, "protect any member of the University of Houston campus community or visitor from unwanted smoke… (And) protect life and property where smoking would present a safety and/or fire hazard." But because of a lack of enforcement, these rules are widely neglected and that is a large part of this problem.

The University can do more and play a larger role to help its students on this issue. One way is for UH to define certain areas around the campus – away from heavily trodden sidewalks and classroom doorways – exclusive for smoking. This can take away any guesswork for smokers; at the same time, students can enjoy a pleasant lunch at the University Center without the commonplace cigarette smell.

We were amazed to learn the things we did when we interviewed smokers and non-smokers alike on campus. Freshman Osman Galindo, who is a smoker, was asked how he felt about second-hand smoke. "It’s offensive but I’m more understanding than a general person would be," he said.

When asked what smokers look for in places to light a cigarette Galindo said, "A place that isn’t around a lot of people, outside, somewhere with a view."

Smokers often welcome privacy when they smoke, something that would go well with designating exclusive areas for them. Consider the case of Stephanie Palmer, a pack-a-day smoker and a current college student. When asked the question about side stream smoke, she said, "When someone is smoking around me, I hate the smell of the smoke, especially when I am trying to eat. I can taste the smoke and lose my appetite."

Again, several people who were interviewed similarly averaged the response best put, when he or she is not smoking, he or she hates being around the unappealing smell.

Some even went as far to say that when they are trying to quit, they smell the smoke in the air and it only increases his or her craving and makes it that much harder to quit. Such appealing attitudes and testimonials from smokers themselves should promote at the very least the changes suggested above, if not more.

The intent of his column isn’t to punish smokers or promote prejudice against them. In fact, people already look down upon smoking because of its cruel addictive nature that brings about bad health as well as brown and yellow teeth. Let us not discriminate against smokers but try to help them through this burden. On the other hand, smokers need to be considerate of their surroundings to bring about less harm to others’ health and make the campus welcoming. This issue can be more controlled to make the third largest campus in the second largest state more hospitable for years to come.

UH undergraduates Jekielek, Shenoy, Ana Velasquez and Kenia Velasquez can be reached at [email protected]