Ruth Recommends: The Winks bring their psychedelic sound to town

From twangy mandolin work to synthesized keyboard melodies, The Winks offer a range of unique sounds that are sure to keep concertgoers on their toes as the perform Wednesday night at Super Happy Fun Land.

The main forces behind the psychedelic folk-pop quartet’s live sound are band mates Tyr Jami, performing cello, vocals and a bit of tap dancing, Todd on mandolin, vocals and programming, Soren on keys and Emily performing drums.

Their overall sound, however, is borrowed from a slew of other artists who have contributed the band’s diverse array of albums.

The upbeat psychedelic pop sounds of "Ohio," from their 2007 release Chorus Girls, is sprinkled with high-pitched mandolin and quirky synth layers.

Cellist Tyr Jami gets a chance to show off in "Guitar Swing" with warm melodies as perfectly harmonized vocals carry the song forward on the band’s 2006 album Birthday Party. And a pulsating keyboard bassline interlaces with harmonized cello and interlocking gutiar in "Slumber Party Lets Go."

In 2004 on Slippers and Parasol, The Winks put forward a more crafted sound with "Snakes," a the song boasts a baritone solo that works well with the richer sounds of the cello and syncopated, screechy guitar riffs.

Even though The Winks’ central sound can only surface when listening to the group’s albums, their live performance – complete with a mixture of mandolin, cello and well-harmonized vocals – will be well worth the $5 cover charge