Fighting Words

At Issue: What has been the most impressive and disappointing event in the sports world during 2007?

And he didn’t mention the Red Sox once – B

By Scott Gonzales

The New England Patriots going 11-0 to start the season, Peyton Manning winning his first Super Bowl and Florida winning both the college football and basketball championships are all great stories, but I’m going to have to go with the Colorado Rockies’ run to the World Series. Going 14-1 to force a one-game playoff to make the postseason and then sweeping both NL playoff series is impressive no matter how you look at it.

On the other hand, the Dallas Mavericks losing to the Golden State Warriors has got to be the most disappointing performance of the year. How a high-powered team like the Mavs could come into the playoffs with the top record in the league and lose in the first round to a team that finished just over .500 is just uncalled for. Boo that team.

Boo Bonds – B

By Chief Achelifu

Scott, I commend you for not taking your typical homer stance by going on and on about the Patriots, but I can’t say the same about you choosing the Rockies as most impressive. It has to be Division 1-AA Appalachian State shocking the college football world by going into the "Big House" and beating No. 5 ranked Michigan. A Division 1-AA school had not beaten a ranked Division 1-A opponent since 1978, and I’m pretty sure that team didn’t have to do it with 107,000 screaming fans rooting against them.

The most disappointing would have to be Barry Bonds and the ongoing steroid allegations. Now I know he certainly isn’t the only guy to have allegedly juiced up, but fans should be able to embrace the all-time home runs leader unashamedly. Nowadays, a player can’t have a great season without people wondering what he’s taking. It really is a shame.

No room for sissymen here – A

By Ronnie Turner

Chief, your sissyman argument about Barry Bonds and the ongoing steroid allegations is tired and weak. Give it a rest.

The most impressive event of 2007 was the game that brought in the New Year – No. 9 Boise State’s improbable 43-42 overtime upset over No. 7 Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 1. The underdog Broncos put on a dazzling finish, sending the game into overtime with a hook-and-lateral play and scoring the game-winning two-point conversion on a Statue of Liberty play. It was one of the greatest college football games ever.

The biggest disappointment: Isiah Thomas still having a job with the New York Knicks. Seriously, is there a coach/general manager worse than this bumbling idiot? After four years on the job, Thomas has nothing to show except zero playoff wins, a lot of busted personnel moves and a sexual harassment lawsuit.

Somebody needs to fire this bum.

Facetime: Man, it’s been another great semester at the Cougar. I’ll see you guys in January. Happy holidays and God Bless!

Rage against the gouging of the Dolphins

By Chris Elliott

Judge Dredd would like to take his final entry of 2007 to congratulate Dolphins coach Cam Cameron and GM Randy Mueller for their outstanding performances this year. In what has to be the most impressive feat of the year, they’ve managed to turn a once proud franchise into the butt of every NFL joke imaginable.

It took some hard work to get to that point, but greatness cannot be attained without sacrifice. How’s this for sacrifice? Trade away Wes Welker to the Patriots. Release the team leader in receptions, Randy McMichael, before the season. Then trade away Pro Bowl receiver Chris Chambers for a fourth-round pick.

It takes two special kinds of people to be able to do those things to a team and have the nerve to sleep at night.

Now that Judge Dredd has sarcastically expressed his admiration for the Dolphins’ management, Ronnie wins because he called Chief a sissyman and obviously hates Isiah Thomas as much as Judge Dredd does.