Cougars fall short in Texas Bowl

The UH football team held the lead against Texas Christian University into halftime during the Texas Bowl on Friday, but a slow second half for the Cougars led to their eighth consecutive bowl loss.

The Cougars rallied with 1:32 left to go in the game driving 79 yards but couldn’t cross the goal line before time expired, giving the Horned Frogs the 20-13 win.

TCU’s defense was the key to the game, allowing only 44 rushing yards on 29 attempts and sacking UH redshirt freshman quarterback Case Keenum four times. TCU safety Brian Bonner finished with 10 total tackles and 62 yards gained on kick returns.

Horned Frogs quarterback Andy Dalton took home the MVP honors, finishing the game going 21-30 for 249 yards and one interception.

The Cougars struggled under interim head coach Chris Thurmond, who took the position after former head coach Art Briles accepted the head coaching position at Baylor University, but battled to the finish against TCU’s tough defense.

After striking hard in the first quarter on a 67-yard touchdown pass, the Cougars could only muster up two field goals for the rest of the game.

TCU’s offense was effective against the Cougar defense. With only two plays of 20 yards or more, the Frogs moved the ball effectively with smaller plays.

UH ends their season with an 8-5 record. Kevin Sumlin will take over the team next season as the Cougars attempt to make four straight bowl appearances.

Read more about this story in Breaking News this week at www.thedailycougar.com.