In the news: A look back at 2007

Missed anything from 2007? Here are some of the major events that made the headlines last year at UH.

JANUARY: Metro routes surrounding UH are relocated from Cullen Boulevard to other streets near campus because of possible street closures of Holman Avenue and Cullen.

FEBRUARY: Informal discussions between UH and Weill Medical College of Cornell University and Methodist Hospital for a possible medical school become public.

MARCH: UH President and UH System Chancellor Jay Gogue accepts an offer to become president of Auburn University, his alma mater.

APRIL: UH mourns the Virginia Tech shootings, which raised safety concerns on campuses nationwide.

MAY: The UH System Board of Regents selects Vice President of Administration and Finance John Rudley as UH Interim President and UH System Chancellor. The search advisory committee forms to select candidates for the next UH president and chancellor.

JUNE: The UH System Board of Regents approves a tuition and fees increase for the entire UH System. UH tuition and fees increase by 6.9 percent, or $202, for every 12 undergraduate hours.

JULY: UH implements a new policy to limit the amount of withdrawals during a student’s career to six.

AUGUST: UH libraries limit the amount of pages a student prints during a semester to cut down on waste.

SEPTEMBER: Kristen Elaine Dewald is charged with the murder of UH physics professor James Dewald.

OCTOBER: University of South Florida Provost Renu Khator is named as the sole finalist for UH president and chancellor by the UH System Board of Regents.

NOVEMBER: UH Football head coach Art Briles accepts an offer from Baylor University to become head coach for an annual salary of $1.8 million for the next seven years.

DECEMBER: Ted Estess announces his resignation after 38 years as dean of The Honors College.