Half-truths make for pack of lies

Don’t believe the lies you hear. Each day is full of the same talking points from unimaginative radio talk show hosts and political pundits. They will twist the truth and outright lie. Unfortunately, people are gullible enough to believe it.

I recall one morning when a family member rushed into the living room, clearly excited and asked me, "Did you hear what happened in Cali…" I stopped her in mid-sentence. I already knew what she was going to say regarding the bill passed in California that would allegedly make having the words "mom" and "dad" in textbooks illegal. Beforehand I heard the same drivel on an Internet forum, however, there is no mention of anything minutely related to that, in the bill.

While one can’t say who originated that idiotic "interpretation," but clearly a lot of people believed it. And now the good folks on the Internet are sending e-mails saying that a certain myth-debunking web site corroborates a story regarding a presidential candidate belonging to a racist church. The link goes along with the e-mail, and if the viewer takes the time and effort to click on the link, they would see that the entire e-mail is a fraud.

Certain myths and false ideas are floating around America. Not wearing a flag lapel pin is not the same as destroying America, nor does wearing one mean that you love this country. Do not listen to anyone whose idea of patriotism is akin to Archie Bunker’s idea of patriotism, or mindlessly waving a flag while ignoring some of the basic principles that the U.S. is founded on.

In all likelihood, wanting to make minority groups second-class citizens violates John Locke’s concept of inalienable rights (terribly inconvenient to some people). To be honest, putting your hand over your heart during the pledge or national anthem doesn’t mean that you are a patriot. Many of us get teary-eyed if the national anthem is done correctly and with pride.

Most students on campus, as well as in America as a whole, do not remember the Bellamy salute that was done during the pledge.†The Bellamy salute looked exactly like what Nazi officers would do while sieg heiling. Needless to say, when the Nazis posed a threat to the world, it was quickly abandoned. If someone did what school children did in the 1920s when the pledge was said, it would be construed as something entirely different.

Internet users and consumers of inane talk radio and television shows must double check what is being sent to their inbox, and also think about what is said on these programs. If some people actually thought things through, they would see that much of what is being said is just silly and full of partisan politics.

Politicians have an agenda and are trying to lie to as many people as possible. Nazi propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels said that if a big lie is told enough times, it will eventually be believed and become true.

Corgey, a political science sophomore, can be reached via [email protected].