Student group rallies for Obama

A new political student organization is looking to raise support for Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama.

Social work graduate student April Spreeman, the chapter coordinator, began Students for Barack Obama to get students involved in the 2008 presidential election.

"I like the fact that he was against the Iraq war from the start," Spreeman said. "He believes in bipartisan work, he’s not a divider, he’s a uniter. I believe he can do this like no other candidate right now (can)."

Some students said they were still excited about the Illinois senator’s win in the Iowa caucus on Jan. 3.

"I was very excited – floored – and it encouraged me to be more involved so we could see more results like that in his campaign," communication graduate Tanisha Everett said.

Political science junior Mirel Herrera said the results of the Iowa caucus encouraged her to campaign for Obama in New Hampshire.

"It was a huge boost and that drove me to go to New Hampshire to do my part in the campaign," Herrera said.

Although fellow Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Hillary Clinton of New York won the primary, Herrera said she still enjoyed the experience.

She said she spent her time going door-to-door, making phone calls and meeting a lot of interesting people.

"There were so many young people involved and there were posters everywhere," Herrera said.

Students for Barack Obama is run through the social networking Web site Facebook, which allows members to contribute to campaign ideas.

Students at the meeting said that the group wants to unite young people and make a difference in the community.

"Personally, I’m looking forward to him working on our reputation in the world," Spreeman said. "As far as foreign policy, I know he’s very open-minded to other cultures and willing to listen."

The group discussed similarities between Martin Luther King Jr. and Obama.

Spreeman said she is hopeful for the future of the Obama campaign.

"This Martin Luther King (Jr.) Day is more exciting than any Martin Luther King (Jr.) Day I have ever been a part of," Spreeman said.