Student Government: Specially called SGA session fills positions

The Student Government Association called a special session meeting on Wednesday to discuss two recent resignations and to nominate new appointments in two committees.

Jennifer Bloom of the Student Fee Advisory Committee and Chief Election Commissioner Stephanie Garcia, who were both unanimously elected in the fall, both resigned.

President David Rosen nominated psychology senior Araceli Lopez to the SFAC and political science senior Josh Sarkar as the new SGA Chief Election Commissioner.

Sarkar had been elected unanimously to the Election Commission in the fall.

Election commissioners are responsible for the election campaign’s drive to get students voting.

Political science senior Patrick Tyczynski was also nominated for the open position in the Election Commission, which was vacated when Sarkar was appointed as commissioner.

All three appointments were approved by a majority vote.

"We have three very, very capable people, and I’m convinced that we’ll break that turnout record this year," Rosen said.

Sarkar regrets that many students have not yet found their voice at the University, and he hopes to help them find it.

"If you nominate me to be the chief election commissioner, myself and the others will do our best job to help the students find their voice and be represented and have their wishes felt in the administration," Sarkar said.

In last spring’s election, Tyczynski served as the chief election commissioner and said he was happy to help again.

"Hopefully, this election will go great," he said.

Lopez did not attend the meeting, but was elected to the SFAC.

The annual SFAC hearings, which determine how student fees are allocated in the University, are set to begin in March and include all UH departments that receive student fees such as the Athletics Department, Student Publications and the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center.

SGA Senators Aleah Al-Sad, Laura Bobrick, Mubeen Khumawala, Mujan Noroozian and Josephine Tittsworth were not present at the meeting.