Both Israel and Palestine lose in conflict

The decades-old conflict between Palestine and Israel has again opened a new chapter this week after hamas blew up the border wall between Gaza and Egypt. And as with any of the twists and turns we have been accustomed to with the history and politics of the region, its causes, motives and reasons are as dark and entangled as its possible consequences.

Countless politicians and academics have attempted to shed some light into the shadows of violence, extremism and despair that cover the everyday existence in this land.

So far, the only thing we know for certain is that as long as men keep repeating their mistakes history will continue to repeat itself.

It was not long ago that a nation of people with no land roamed the fields of the British mandate in Palestine planning their next move on their quest for a country. After much land buying and bullying, policy making and maneuvering, free and forced immigration, countless fights and deaths, accusations, negotiations, agreements, disagreements and an ongoing armed struggle that has already seen four wars and two major armed uprisings, we have not only seen Israel solidify into a state, but we have also witnessed the people of Palestine grow tired and desperate.

Those who once begged for land and skillfully gained it from their Arab landlords now own it and are keeping it. And those who once called themselves the masters of the land now beg for it and are foolishly trying to wrestle it away.

The irony would be forgiven if it was not for the fact that so many people are condemned to suffer simply because some leaders could not lose face. Any act of collaboration with Israel is seen as a sign of weakness and a betrayal to the Arab cause, and in the politics of the region, it could also be just short of suicidal.

Here, however, is where the ideology breaks down; most of the players have no trouble collaborating if it benefits them. Egypt agreed to terms in the Sinai to keep control of the Suez Canal; Jordan agreed to peace to keep autonomy west of the river; Lebanon collaborated to have Israel deal with Hezbollah in the south; and, even Fatah is now working closely with their one-time enemy in order to retain their right to be the only authority in further negotiations – brushing aside their rival faction.

In short, a strong and stable neighbor is preferable to a violent and poor one, and that is certainly the case with Israel for in years of conflict, nobody outside Palestine seems to have been willing to carry the issue of statehood much further than speeches and declarations. Some may still be uncomfortable with the presence of a strong Israel in their backyard, but nobody wants the shadow of a militant and politically weak Palestine.

The most recent chain of events offered a front-row seat to this reality. Israel sealing the Gaza borders may be condemnable, but who would have done otherwise? Hamas has not only proven that they continue to pose a threat, but they also have shown they are willing to break any rules in their fight and to place the blame for their people’s suffering anywhere else but on their own shoulders.

Egypt at the same time has a glimpse of the difficulties and dangers of dealing with the Hamas-starved and Hamas-incited crowds. For its part, Israel now faces the double-edged sword of international pressure over the humanitarian toll their measures are causing and their enemy’s willingness to keep their attacks.

The people of Gaza would rather take on the Egyptian police instead of the Hamas fighters. Apparently, they are the real losers in this struggle.

Bonilla, a computer engineering technology senior, can be reached via [email protected].