Men’s Basketball: Cougars jump to best start since ’91-’92

The UH men’s basketball program hasn’t run this strong in quite some time.

At 17-4, the Cougars are off to their best start since the 1991-92 season, when they made their last appearance in the NCAA Tournament. They also have sole possession of second place in Conference USA with a 6-1 record, their only loss coming to two-time defending league champion and Associated Press No. 1 Memphis.

For all its accomplishments, however, UH can’t avoid talk of its rematch with Memphis, whom the Cougars haven’t beaten in their last six tries, including the C-USA Tournament. Their contest Wednesday in Memphis, Tenn., seems to be on everyone’s minds.

Everyone, that is, except the Cougars, who will try to keep their momentum and NCAA tournament hopes alive with a win against C-USA rival Tulane at 2 p.m. Saturday at Fogelman Arena in New Orleans.

"We can’t worry about Memphis, and I’m not talking about Memphis to the kids," UH head coach Tom Penders said. "I’m just talking about taking care of business, respecting every opponent we play and preparing hard for everybody we play. This team has been very good about that."

"We’ve stayed away from losing streaks, and we’re undefeated on the road in conference. (The) guys are taking care of business."

The Cougars won six of their last seven games. Their 92-81 pasting of Tulsa on Wednesday was one of their strongest outings to date.

They shot 49.2 percent from the field, forced Tulsa into 21 turnovers, and received a monstrous 33-point performance from senior guard Robert "Fluff" McKiver, who has scored more than 30 in two consecutive games.

Tulane (15-7, 5-3 C-USA) also has a notable run of its own, claiming five of its last six games. The Green Wave’s only blemish during that stretch was a 66-64 setback at Texas-El Paso on Wednesday. Tulane is also extremely dangerous at home, where it is 9-2.

"We’re playing a team in Tulane that has beaten three (Southeastern Conference teams)," Penders said. "They beat Georgia, Auburn and (Louisiana State). They beat them comfortably, and we’re playing in their place. So, that’s a very big game."

UH has a Ratings Percentage Index of 61, but Tulane has an RPI of only 133. A loss would damage the Cougars’ chances of receiving an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament.

"All I want to think about is winning as many games as we can win," Penders said.