Staff Editorial: In the wake of terror and grief, U.S. still strives for justice

Charges have been filed against six men the military alleges were involved with the Sept. 11 attack on the World Trade Center, according to The New York Times.

It appears that the military is having a tough time finding lawyers to represent the six men – and no wonder. These men are accused of being at least partially responsible for the worst terrorist attack on U.S. soil.

Difficulty now lies with finding a lawyer for these men so their cases can proceed. A 2006 law states that people detained for war crimes must have the right to a lawyer, the right to appeal and have all charges proven beyond a reasonable doubt, according to The New York Times.

It is reassuring that such laws exist because it shows that the justice system and rules exist for all people, even war criminals.

The law is proving difficult to abide by, especially since the Pentagon is seeking the death penalty for these men. One thing seems to be certain: the trials for these individuals will not be easy and they will not be quick.

The CIA didn’t make things any easier by subjecting Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, one of the men charged Monday, to waterboarding, because now the defense lawyer might use that against the military’s case. This is yet another reason why torture should not be practiced by any government: there is always a chance it might be uncovered and used against those who practice torture.

People will remember where they were on Sept. 11 just as vividly as older generations remember where they were when President Kennedy was shot. The attack changed the mood of this country, no doubt, but it also put into motion the change of the laws in the U.S., such as the implementation of the Patriot Act and greater concerns over immigration.

The world would probably feel no great loss if all six men were swiftly convicted and subsequently executed. However, our justice system should be applauded for affording these men the rights our nation says belong to all men and women, and the military should be encouraged to continue trying to find a lawyer, even for the most hated men in America.