SFAC hearings continue

The Student Fees Advisory Committee convened Tuesday to continue hearing budget requests for fiscal year 2009 from organizations that utilize student-service fees, of which eight requested additional funding.

Center for Students with Disabilities Director Cheryl Amoruso requested a base-funding increase of $51,030 in student service-fees for the center starting fiscal year 2009.

Amoruso said the money would be used to pay a full-time counselor specializing in autism spectrum disorders, including Asperger’s syndrome.

"These students tend to be very bright and articulate," she said. "Right now, they need more support than we can give them."

She said from 1994 to 2004 the number of diagnosed autistic children in special education programs rose to 193,637 from 22,664.

"This is an astounding increase, and our University needs to be prepared to help students with this disability succeed," Amoruso said.

The center serves ten students with Asperger’s syndrome, according to its request, but UH is likely to see a rise in cases in accordance with the national trend.

Assistant Vice President for Student Services David Small requested a base-funding increase of $29,500 in student-service fees for University Career Services starting in fiscal year 2009.

The money would be used to partially compensate a part-time employer-relations coordinator for the center.

"UCS serves a unique student population. As you may know, 74 percent of UH students work," Small said. "They pay a larger portion of their college expenses than more traditional students, and they’re generally more focused on career issues."

The coordinator scouts job opportunities for students and alumni and helps generate resume-search revenues, according to the organization’s request.

In fiscal years 2007 and 2008, UCS employed one-time student-service fee allocations of $29,500 to subsidize the position.

Veterans’ Services Office Program Manager Allen Grundy said veteran enrollment was down in Fall 2007 because of problems enrolling veterans through PeopleSoft 8.9.

"Many of our veterans who attempted to enroll at UH last fall were not able to get their award letters in on time according to the new PeopleSoft dates, and therefore were not able to enroll," he said.

Grundy said UH veteran enrollment dropped to 696 in Fall 2007 from 1,056 in Fall 2006.

Grundy requested a student-service fee base-funding increase of $10,658 starting in fiscal year 2009.

Grundy said $6,840 of the request would be used to compensate a new part-time employee without benefits, and $3,818 would go to the VSO office clerk, who became eligible for benefits in fiscal year 2008.

The VSO also requested $7,000 for fiscal year 2008 to purchase 20 Dell computers for its computer lab, according to its request.

Representatives from Greek Life requested a one-time allocation of $23,161 in student-service fees for fiscal year 2009 to pay for new fraternity and sorority guides and increase funding for Greek-a-Palooza and an educational speaker series, according to its request.

Director of Campus Activities Marcella Leung requested a one-time student-service fee allocation of $23,317 for fiscal year 2008 and a base-funding increase of $23,293 starting in fiscal year 2009.

The funds would be used to raise department salaries, including the salary for a Web development position that is paid below industry and campus averages, according to its request.

"Our salaries were not competitive," Leung said. "We contacted other Texas institutions and just found that we couldn’t compete. We went through a process of requesting a salary increase to attract more staff."

The Homecoming Board requested a base-funding increase of $16,925 in student-service fees starting in fiscal year 2009.

"Two major programs at the University that cannot fail are Homecoming and Frontier Fiesta," Associate Director of Campus Activities Bruce Twenhafel said.

The funding would be used to increase compensation for the board’s chair and finance new directorship positions for the board, according to its request.

The board chair would also change to a 12-month tenure from a four-month tenure as part of the proposed organizational restructuring.

The Student Government Association Senate requested a base-funding increase of $3,000 in student-service fees starting in fiscal year 2009.

The fees would be used to compensate for a mandated 2 percent salary increase, according to its request.

SGA President David Rosen said the organization has sought to keep University costs down with its five-part tuition management plan and its textbook affordability campaign.

"Our job is to save students money," Rosen said. "We’ve tried to serve as a check and balance."

Frontier Fiesta requested base-funding increase of $19,607 starting in the fiscal year 2009 to help with operational expenses, including raising awareness of the fiesta.

Forensics Director Michael Fain requested an $18,000 one-time allocation for fiscal year 2009 and a base-funding increase of $15,000 starting in fiscal year 2009 to cover debate team travel expenses and cover office renovation costs in order to support a University Interscholastic League regional tournament.

"(The) office we have now has no ceiling, no walls, no ventilation and one door," Fain said.

If the requests are approved by the committee, they will be sent to UH President Renu Khator, who will then forward recommendations to the UH System Board of Regents for final approval.

Student Publications, which includes The Daily Cougar, The Metropolitan Volunteer Program and the Council of Ethnic Organizations did not make any budget requests differing from fiscal year 2008.

SFAC hearings will continue Monday and Wednesday in the University Center’s Bluebonnet Room and are open to the public.

Additional reporting by The Daily Cougar News staff