UH comes out on top with ‘quality’ playing

The doubleheader on Wednesday was double the pleasure for the Cougars, who ended the night with two overall wins.

Although the wins improved their season record to 4-4, UH head coach John Severance isn’t concerned with the numbers.

"This year, with our tough schedule, we elected to go for quality, not quantity," Severance said.

Quality is exactly what the Cougars produced as they trampled over the 2007 national champions, Lee College, with a 6-1 win Wednesday night.

Freshman Lucy Forward finished the day with two big wins at No. 1 singles, beating Lady Rebels freshman Natalie Araya 7-5, 6-2 after defeating Stephen F. Austin’s sophomore Roxanna Enica 5-7, 6-2, 10-8.

"I’m so lucky to be here, and going on and winning a match makes me realize how lucky I am," Forward said.

"There is always pressure (playing in the No. 1 position as a freshman), but I always try to put 100 percent in all my matches and not do anything different."

Forward teamed up with junior Jordan McCombs, who transferred from Lee College, in the No. 1 doubles match against the Lady Rebels and lost the fight 8-6.

"It’s a heartbreaker losing to old teammates, but overall as a team we did really well today," McCombs said.

On Wednesday morning, the Cougars swept their matches against the Lumberjacks as Houston defeated Stephen F. Austin State 7-0.

McCombs and Forward won the No. 1 doubles match 8-3, while junior Lynley Wasson and freshman Joanna Kacprzyk defeated SFA 8-1 to win doubles match No. 2. Senior Lelia Salek and junior Vicky Simpson held the Lumberjacks scoreless in the No. 3 doubles match on their way to an 8-0 win.

Houston also won five of its six singles matches in straight sets.

"I think it was important for us to get two solid wins today, everyone played a part and everyone got a win. Everyone stepped up and we played well as a team," assistant coach Jo Keene said.

The Cougars will take on McNeese State at 2 p.m. Saturday at John E. Hoff Courts and battle the Cowgirls as they try to earn their fifth victory of the year.