Moccasins’ sound strikes perfect balance

Many students barely have the time to carry a full load of classes, hold down a part-time job and get in those much-desired eight hours of sleep. One group of local student musicians, however, has managed to take on those roles all while pursuing their favorite hobby – being in a band.

Dabbling in an array of sounds, The Wild Moccasins deliver an energetic set that reels listeners in with upbeat, folk-tinged songs laced with percussive jingles, quirky pop rhythms and the occasional yelp.

The five-month-old band, with Zahira Gutierrez on vocals and percussion, University Studies sophomore Cody Swann on guitar and vocals, anthropology sophomore Andrew Ortiz on drums, bassist and political science junior Nicholas Cody and pre-med freshman and guitarist Andrew Lee, captures a sound that’s fitting for a wide range of Houstonians, including weeknight college concertgoers and a slightly older, more laid-back group of weekend afternoon listeners.

Even though its name, The Wild Moccasins, lends itself to a more rash and reckless group of individuals, the band’s lifestyle – and sound for that matter – doesn’t exactly fit that mold. The band doesn’t consider themselves so wild and admits they have really good schedules that suit their lifestyle.

"We’re the modest, go-to-bed-at-nine Moccasins," Cody said.

The band’s sound offers a level of restraint as the quintet dons a well-crafted flurry of sound that blends intertwining guitar work, intricate drumming and two layers of harmonized vocals, serving listeners a cohesive, energy-infused set.

"There has to be some degree of selflessness if you want to give a song its full potential," Swann said. "We all bring little facets of different elements to the sound. We all like what we play and that’s why it’s easy for us all to mesh."

Sporting an upbeat sound drenched in catchy guitar riffs, enthused vocals and sprinkled with tambourine jingles, the song "Tiny Bones" gives concertgoers a chance to sing along, dance and, most importantly, have fun at a Moccasins show.

The laid-back "Spanish and Jazz" shows the band’s ability to take its level of energy down a notch. The piece ebbs and flows, offering light guitar quirks and a steady foundation of soft vocals as the group transitions smoothly in and out of tempo changes and moves as a single entity of sound.

"With being energetic comes a degree of sloppiness, but I think when people come to see a show they don’t want to hear the record because they can just sit at home and do that. They want to see a show," Swann said.

From performing weeknight concerts at local bars to playing laid-back, patio-style secret Saturday afternoon shows, The Wild Moccasins are able to cater to a broad group of listeners.

"As far as our shows go, even if you don’t know the music it’s something you can get into just because we put a lot of heart into it," Ortiz said.

Don’t miss your chance to support the locals as The Wild Moccasins perform for free at 10 p.m. tonight at Boondocks, 1414 Westheimer Road.