UH softball sweeps weekend games with five wins

Number 23-ranked UH softball completed its second consecutive weekend sweep, beating DePaul, Army and Texas A’M Corpus Christi in the Crown Plaza Classic at Cougar Softball Stadium. The Cougars are now 9-0 in the season and will probably advance in national rankings.

In Sunday’s afternoon matchup against the Islanders, Houston freshman first baseman Jennifer Klinkert hit her first career grand slam to lead the Cougars over A’M Corpus Christi.

Senior pitcher Barbie Love threw five scoreless innings, giving up two hits while striking out three.

Earlier on Sunday, UH held off No. 14 DePaul 1-0 in a tough defensive battle.

Senior outfielder Courtney Spittler would score the Cougars’ only run in the fifth inning while junior shortstop Jessica Valis was caught in a run-down.

Senior pitcher Angel Shamblin held off the Blue Demons, pitching 7 innings of scoreless ball, giving up four hits and striking out five.

On Saturday the Cougars defeated Army 10-1. Freshman pitcher Bailey Lott dominated the game, pitching five innings, giving up two hits and striking out six of the 16 batters she faced.

Valis, Klinkert and outfielders Laurie Wagner and Amanda Grote all had two hits in the game. Between the four of them, they scored six of the 10 runs and drove in four.

Houston knocked off its opponents with ease Friday without relinquishing a single run against DePaul or Army.

Opening the tournament, the Cougars roared past the Blue Demons 5-0, scoring all of their runs in the first three innings.

Shamblin pitched all seven innings of the game, giving up five hits and striking out six.

Klinkert provided most of the offense, going 2-for-4 with a homerun and scoring twice. Wagner also went 3-for-3 with a run and an RBI.

In the second game of the day, the Cougars defeated the Black Knights 9-0 in a five-inning offensive onslaught.

All but two of Houston’s starting lineup had a hit and Wagner, Grote and junior catcher Elaina Nordstrom each hit a home run.

Love had another dominating pitching performance, throwing all five innings while only giving up one hit and striking out eight.

At 9-0, Houston sits atop of Conference USA’s standings, two games ahead of East Carolina (9-2). The Cougars will play Sam Houston State at 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. Wednesday at Cougar Softball Stadium. The Bearkats are 4-1 and are third in the Southland Conference.