Guest Commentary: Without action, change just a word

Every Wednesday night my checking account receives a direct deposit from my place of employment. The amount of money I hold changes, but the reality stays the same : I am a broke college student.

This analogy is a good way of understanding the complexities of the word "change." It isn’t a very powerful word when put into context; I may change my direction, but still be driving down the wrong path. I suppose a better word to rally around would be "progress," a positive adjustment, an advancement. Now, I say that, but you can’t really interchange the two.

Progress is an arduous task, which only the most competent of persons can accomplish. It requires passionate dedication to a goal, creative ideas and, most importantly, the ability to create progress. Change, however, is a popular tool one uses to modify a previous entity.†

It reminds me of when the packaging of a Coca Cola can is altered. The new logo is flashy and catches my eye. The old packaging was too recognizable, it blended in with its surroundings, it didn’t pop. But what about the actual product is different? Coke in a can always tastes the same, no matter what label you slap on it. In the end, the change of the package has done nothing to positively adjust my experience of the product. I mean, I still like Coke, but what is new about the taste? Nothing. It hasn’t progressed to something better; it tastes like it always does.†

I guess I’m not a stickler for change for the sake of change in the name of change in the hope of change. I guess I want something more. Something a little more concrete. Something like progress.