Leap Year Day babies celebrate

James Collins was born in 1968, but will be celebrating his 10th birthday today. Collins was born on Feb. 29, and is among the many people across the globe born on Leap Day.

"When I tell people, they always say ‘Really?’ It freaks them out. It’s always good for a chuckle, especially when they try to guess how old I’m supposed to be. I’m usually the only one they have ever met. Sometimes they might know of one other." Collins said.

According to the Honor Society of Leap Year Day Babies, there are 200,000 people who were born on Leap Day.

Among the people who celebrate their birthday on Feb. 29 are former Dallas Cowboys guard John Niland, rapper Ja Rule and actor Antonio Sabato, Jr.

Collins is a member of Honor Society of Leap Year Day Babies and said although he only gets to celebrate his birthday every four years, he doesn’t mind being a Leap Year Day baby.

"I like being born on Leap Day. It’s unique. When I do celebrate (it), people make a big deal out of it. It’s fun," he said.

Established in 1997, the Honor Society of Leap Year Day Babies Web site has 5,865 members and has its own online informational magazine, LEAPzine, and a store with Leap Day products.

There’s even a "LEAPtionary", where terms such as "leapette" and "leapster" are used to refer to females and males born on Leap Day. What do you call a Leap Day newborn? "Leaplings", or a "leapy".

The Honor Society is more than just a Web site devoted to Leap Day birthdays and terminology. Site owners Raenell Dawn and Peter Brouwer said they hope that Leap Day babies will be given the same privileges as other birthdays.

The society would like calendars to list "Leap Day" with other important February dates such as Groundhog Day and Valentine’s Day.

"Leap Day is more important than Groundhog Day. If it were not for that extra day eventually our seasons would not line up with the calendar," according to a statement on their Web site.

The group would also like other Leap Day babies to have the right to list Feb. 29 as their birthday on their driver licenses, rather than February 28 or March 1.

Leap Day celebrations will take place around the world in Australia, Africa, Canada, Spain and the U.S.

Collins will be celebrating his birthday with friends at Griff’s in the Montrose.

"On non-leap years I usually don’t do anything, at least nothing big. That makes the Leap Day celebration that much more special. This year it’s going to be an all day celebration," he said.

For more information on the Honor Society of Leap Year Day Babies and Leap Day celebrations, visit www.leapyearday.com

Additional reporting by Kristina Michel and Lihue Rearte.