Project discovers what ‘love’ means on campus

The Love Project, an independent study conducted by UH students, found that students define love in a romantic, religious and familial sense.

Political science junior Vincent Harding, founder of the Love Project, said the idea for the project came to mind last December.

"The Love Project got started as a dream of mine," Harding said. "I was sitting on the bed of my dorm room and was thinking about the upcoming semester and how I could impact the campus for Christ."

He said 95 students were asked to help with the project by conducting surveys around campus. The surveys asked the opinions of the UH community in order to find out people’s perspective on love in the religious, familial and romantic senses.

Harding said he reached out to local ministries to get students involved in the project at the beginning of the semester.

The study, conducted from Jan. 15 through Feb. 15, received fewer than 1,000 responses.

"Our goal was to talk to 1,000 students about the Gospel," he said. "We came up short, but it was a major success. We surveyed 700 people and had 95 students commit to being a part of the project."

One of the five survey questions asked students to describe love in three words, and the top responses were commitment, trust and affection. Family, romantic relationships and God were the top responses to students’ ideals of love.

While the questions were geared toward students, Harding said the five-question survey was open to everyone on campus whom the student participants could find.

Students conducting the surveys said they had a lot to reflect on as they recalled the experience and what they took away from it.

Some students involved with the project said talking to people about the subject wasn’t easy at first.

"In the beginning it is a little difficult, even†a little embarrassing, talking to complete strangers," psychology senior Nikki Arrington said. "After the first few it becomes much easier."

Electrical engineering freshman Adelanwa Adesanya said she wanted to see the program continue.

"For me, the Love Project doesn’t have an end whenever I get the chance to speak to someone about Jesus," Adesanya said. "Evangelism is one of our main assignments as Christians; the Love Project will always be forever because it’s an avenue to share Jesus’ love with others."

An event Friday in Lynn Eusan Park, sponsored by Harding and Campus Crusade for Christ, gave several students a chance to give their testimony of what God has done in their lives.

Local ministries that participated in the event included Women of Worship, The Impact Movement, Men After God’s Own Heart, Every Nation Campus Ministry and Exiles Pardoned in Christ.

Approximately 110 people attended Friday’s event, Harding said.

"I always believe that whoever is supposed to be here will be here," finance senior Bobby Odior said. "Hopefully more people will show up next year."

As far as additional plans for the project, Harding said he is considering whether he will continue the project in the future.

"God willing, I will continue the Love Project in the future. I truly enjoyed it, the goal was accomplished," he said. "We saw two individuals say "yes" to eternal salvation; this is what it is all about. In the future, I plan to add a community service aspect†to the Love Project."

Harding said working with the Love Project and spreading its message has given him a greater sense of purpose.

"I’m living a dream," Harding said. "God loves me so much and my prayer is that everyone would come to know God’s love. Being a part of something that is truly bigger than I brings tears to my eyes."