Restaurant Review: Niko Niko’s Greek fast food worth a try

When you want to try something different and expand your horizons as far as meals are concerned,†look no farther than Niko Niko’s. For more than two decades, this has been Houston’s go-to place for fine Greek fast food that boasts a casual environment not found in your typically uptight foreign restaurant.

The lunchtime†line that usually extends from the cashier’s desk to the back door – which can be avoided by calling in your order – exemplifies Niko Niko’s popularity. What could keep hungry Houstonians coming back in droves? The gyro, for one. It’s a sandwich that’s like a foreign alternative to the hamburger, which can get old. It features plenty of slices of lamb and beef, tomatoes, onion and tzatziki sauce wrapped in a large pita.

Wrapped in foil, this sandwich can be enjoyed to go or on the standard paper plate at the restaurant, and sitting on the patio is recommended – that is, when Houston’s unpredictable weather is nice. You can take your time enjoying this sandwich because it is quite large. The gyro comes with Niko Niko’s distinct, large†French fries, which are generously powdered with a brownish-red seasoning that is so addictive it’s hard to resist the urge to shower on more of it from the container on the table.

If you want a side dish, Niko Niko’s offers oven potatoes,†which†are steamed to perfection, rice or Greek Salad. This salad is another great part of Greek cuisine and features distinct ingredients such as cucumbers, kalamata olives and, of course, feta cheese, a Greek staple.

†For those who don’t want to go the†sandwich route, there is the Souvlaki plate, which features not one but two skewers of shish kebob made of lamb and mixed vegetables.

For that xenophobic friend who accompanies you to Niko Niko’s, there is the Philly cheese steak. This is one of the best cheesesteaks you will have, but be warned: it’s so huge that it’s actually more than enough for one person to eat alone or in one sitting.

Even though there are plenty of meal options, make sure you leave room for dessert. Why? One word: baklava. This classic Mediterranean pastry is reason enough to come to Niko Niko’s.