UH softball falls short of securing tournament

UH Softball went 5-1 at the Bulldog Classic in Fresno, Calif., falling to USA Today/National Fastpitch Coaches Association No. 16 DePaul 5-3 Sunday.

The Cougars finished the series with a 3-0 shutout over Fresno State in Sunday’s second game. Junior infielder Christa Raley scored on a wild pitch in the third inning and senior catcher Elaina Nordstrom followed with a two-run homer to give the Cougars the win.

Senior pitcher Angel Shamblin pitched the entire game, giving up five hits and striking out 10.

UH took its third loss of the season in Game 1 on Sunday to DePaul University. The Blue Demons scored early with a two-run double from sophomore pitcher Becca Heteniak in the first, followed by an RBI double from junior catcher Jackie Tarulli-Fisher in the third.

Freshman outfielder Katy Beth Sherman scored for the Cougars on a passed ball in the top of the fourth, but DePaul answered by scoring two runs in the second half of the inning to put UH away.

Freshman pitcher Baillie Lott suffered her second loss of the season, giving up 10 hits and five runs while striking out two.

UH was 2-0 on Saturday. An RBI single from junior centerfielder Katie Bush against Cal Poly University put the Cougars up 1-0 in the third. RBI singles from freshman infielder Jennifer Klinkert and junior infielder Haley Valis helped the Cougars to a 6-0 win. Shamblin pitched all seven innings giving up only four hits and striking out 11.

Game 1 against Sacramento State opened quickly for UH with an RBI single from senior outfielder Laurie Wagner in the top of the first. The Hornets put up a run in the fourth with an RBI single from senior infielder Teri Ann Caoagan, but two RBIs from Shamblin gave UH the 3-1 win.

Senior pitcher Barbie Love held the pitcher’s circle for the entire game, giving up three hits and one run while striking out three.

On Friday, the Cougars put up four runs against Rhode Island in the bottom of the second with RBI singles from junior infielder Jessica Valis and Bush. A sacrifice fly from Nordstrom and a double from put the Cougars ahead 4-0. Houston finished with an 8-1 victory.

Lott struck out eight batters and gave up eight hits and one run while pitching the entire game.

Houston opened the weekend with a 4-0 win over Santa Clara. Jessica Valis, who was 3-4 for the game, had two RBIs with triple to right field in the top of the sixth. Senior first baseman Amanda Grote scored on a double play by the Broncos and provided the last run for the Cougars with a sacrifice fly to right. Love pitched all seven innings, striking out seven batters and giving up three hits.