UH softball wins close game over Fresno

The 13th-ranked Cougars needed three extra innings to gain their 22nd win of the season against Fresno State Tuesday when they ended the game 1-0 in the 10th inning.

A single to right field from junior infielder Christa Raley in the top of the fifth was the only Cougar hit in the first seven innings.

With no runs on the board for either team, senior outfielder Laurie Wagner kicked off the 10th inning with a single to second.

Following Wagner, senior pitcher Angel Shamblin gave the Cougars the only run they needed with a sacrifice fly to right field to score freshman outfielder Katy Beth Sherman, who pinch ran for Wagner.

The Bulldogs came to the plate in the 10th, but they were unable to keep the game going with two batters striking out to Shamblin and another grounding out to second.

Shamblin pitched all 10 innings, striking out eight Bulldogs and giving up six hits.

UH struggled at the plate, with only three batters coming to the plate in six of the 10 innings.

Although success was limited at bat, the Cougars held Fresno State despite the six hits the Bulldogs had. Senior catcher Elaina Nordstrom threw out Bulldog Michelle Palazuelos in her attempt to steal second in the bottom of the fifth.

The shutout against the Bulldogs was the second of the week for the Cougars. UH faced Fresno State on Sunday in the championship game of the Bingham Toyota Classic and winning the game 3-0.

Nordstrom had a two-run homer in the game on Sunday, and Shamblin pitched all seven innings, striking out 10 and giving up five hits.

The Cougars head to Huntington, W. Va. Saturday for a three game series against the Marshall Thundering Herd.