Event Preview: SXSW lineup worth a look

This year’s South by Southwest music festival’s lineup may be good enough to require you skip class and start spring break a few days early in Austin.

SXSW has been a staple in downtown Austin since 1987, providing an interactive festival experience for concertgoers and movie buffs. For those discouraged by the notion of having to pay for a bracelet that allows access to shows, there are plenty of ways to enjoy SXSW for free.

In addition to numerous free shows that don’t require bracelets, there are also party showcases that are free on a first-come, first-served basis and at some performances the clubs charge individually at the door. Last year’s SXSW even featured Andrew W.K. putting on a free show after a scavenger hunt led fans underneath a bridge where he proceeded to perform with just a speaker and an iPod.

This year’s music lineup has something for everybody. While previous festivals had big names such as Morrissey and Lilly Allen, 2008 features a deep pool of talent. Fans of ’90s alternative will want to check out returning rockers The Presidents of the United States of America, pop sensation Hanson and radio hit-makers R.E.M.

Hip-hop’s participation in SXSW has grown over the years as this year Chicago’s The Cool Kids, M1 of Dead Prez, Bun B, N.E.R.D, Ice Cube and Houston’s own Chingo Bling are some of the more notable names performing. Alternative country and blues will also be represented by solo acts James McMurtry and Joe Ely. Singer-songwriters are plenty as Joshua Radin, Kevin Devne, Ben Harper, Katy Perry, Tom Morello, Anthony Green (of Circa Survive), Martha Wainwright, Serj Tankian (of System of a Down), Ingrid Michaelson, Sara Bareilles and UK icon Billy Bragg are set to perform.

Indie rock is the most abundant genre of music showcased. The Lemonheads, Socratic, Our Lunar Activities, The Raveonettes, Vampire Weekend, The Weakerthans, The Constatines and Nada Surf are just a few of the many popular indie acts playing.

Fans of punk and rock will likely want to check out bands such as NOFX, Dead to Me, Story of the Year, MxPx, Paramore, The Gaslight Anthem, Teenage Bottlerocket, The Cute Lepers, The Flatliners, The HorrorPops and a reunion show from the beloved Hot Water Music. Local bands from Houston such as The Young Mammals (formerly The Dimes) and O’ Pioneers should also garner some much-deserved attention.

There will be more than 1,000 acts performing from today to Sunday in downtown Austin. Label executives will be scouting the next big thing, and you may easily find your next favorite artist.

Looking for unique films, sans the same-old movies shown at your local cinema? The film festival portion of SXSW offers an alternative for the modern moviegoer.

Austin’s own David Zellner presents Goliath, a tale of a man’s stress over his missing cat (4 p.m. Saturday at the Austin Convention Center).

Second Skin is a documentary targeting video games and it’s existence in modern society (1:45 p.m. Today at Austin Convention Center), while another documentary, We are Wizards looks at the popularity of the Harry Potter series (1:45 Friday at Austin Convention Center).

Larger budgeted films will also be shown, such as Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay and actor Josh Brolin’s directorial debut, the action flick X.

The Alamo and Dobie theaters will be running many shorts. Shorts are films short on length and are usually the first projects film students do during or straight out of college. The shorts will be running all weekend and feature both live action and stop-motion animated films.

Films documenting music, which is SXSW’s biggest attraction, will also be showcased, such as the story of the band Joy Division in Joy Division. Heavy Metal in Baghdad follows the Iraqi rock band Acrassicauda and its dreams of being able to continue its path to rock stardom despite outside influences – namely, the war. The Night James Brown Saved Boston takes you back in time to Brown’s April 5,1968 performance at the Boston Garden, one day after the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.

If you happen to be in Austin, have no interest in any of the bands playing and need sometime to kill before heading to 6th Street, give the film festival a shot.