Personal history not a valid excuse

The recent scandal with the governor of New York and his now world-known high-priced prostitute has brought to light not only the scandal of public corruption, but also the long-time avoided issue of morals, and especially, the story of the young lady behind the fallout of a high-ranking public servant.

It is highly hypocritical to criticize Gov. Elliot Spitzer, for doing what some of us have done, or would do, if it wasn’t for lack of money or fear of diseases and divorce. What is wrong about the whole issue is the double standard in prosecuting those who perform or use the services one probably uses himself. Even more disturbing from the taxpayer point of view is the fact that Spitzer may be abusing his position and public funds for his now questionable leisure activity.

Do what you want with your life as long as you hurt only yourself – just be honest about it and do it in your own time and with your own resources. But the second part of this drama is what interests me now. Sptitzer’s story is over, and it has been and will continue to be told in many different ways and venues.

The other element of the story is not over and will continue to be an issue for all of us. Prostitution has been with mankind since ancient times and will probably remain for as long as we exist, since lust is an incredibly renewable resource that is replenished when every generation reaches puberty (I wish we could bottle it up and sell it). Prostitution and pornography will always be a profitable business.

The debate so far has been around "Kristen’s" being a victim or a villain, and the answer is neither. She is predictably trying to ride the wave of national coverage to boost her career, and there’s nothing bad about that, either. However, her argument about being a lonely, hard-pressed teenager who has been through a lot and is just trying turn her life around who should be commended for getting off drugs and rising to the highest Manhattan circles is the sorriest excuse to justify straying to the wrong path and staying there.

Without being overly dramatic I can say that this kind of approach and attitude, perhaps because of the tacit approval of the media and some authorities, is slowly eroding the prospects and resolve of the new generations who see their lives as the hardest, content themselves with mediocre achievements while boosting the edge that competing nations and cultures are gaining over us.

Millions of teens and young adults struggle every day with peer pressure, drugs, alcohol, pregnancy, violence and conflict. That does not give any of them a justification to turn to crime, prostitution or just accept their sorry fate and keep living off the good will of the rest of us.

The drive to succeed is not conditional on how good or easy one’s life is, and there are plenty of examples about that. How many names in history have risen to the highest levels after overcoming incredible odds? At the same time, how many people do we know that have wasted their lives even though they never lacked money, love or attention?

I would like to see a starving child in Africa refusing food just because it is not from his favorite restaurant, a kid in India dropping high school because he is already making $7.00 an hour and school cuts into his fun time, or a Palestinian demanding counseling and psychiatric help because somebody died next door.

The truth is that we have things too easy and do not appreciate the privileges of freedom and education. Our future is only our responsibility and failure is not the natural result of hard times. Think about that the next time you think your parents, your teachers or life is getting harder on you.

Bonilla, a computer-engineering technology senior, can be reached via [email protected]