UH beats Southern Miss in home series

A three-game series sweep against the Southern Miss Golden Eagles over the weekend gave UH, ranked 11th by USA Today/National Fastpitch Coaches Association, three more Conference USA victories, six overall.

Senior outfielder Laurie Wagner hit a solo home run in the top of the second during Saturday’s game followed by freshman infielder Jennifer Klinkert’s home run in the top of the fourth to put the Cougars ahead 2-0.

An RBI double from senior outfielder Katie Bush put a third run on the board for UH in the top of the fifth.

A three-run home run from junior infielder Haley Valis in the top of the sixth doubled the Cougars’ runs and ended the game 6-0.

Senior pitcher Angel Shamblin pitched all seven innings giving up two hits, zero runs and striking out three.

In Game 2 on Friday, UH took the lead early, scoring three runs in the bottom of the first inning. Klinkert hit a two-run double, and Shamblin had an RBI double to put the Cougars on the board.

An RBI single from both junior infielder Jessica Valis and senior catcher Elaina Nordstrom in the second brought the game to 5-0 in the second.

Southern Miss managed to score two runs in the fourth with a two run home run from Golden Eagle senior infielder Jennifer Fox.

UH scored another eight runs in the last three innings of the game with a two-run double from senior infielder Amanda Grote in the fourth and an RBI single from Bush in the sixth.

With the bases loaded in the sixth, Klinkert scored after Haley Valis was hit by a pitch. Junior infielder Christa Raley hit a grand slam to end the game at 13-2.

Shamblin pitched the entire game, striking out four and giving up two hits and two runs.

Game 1 on Friday wasn’t much different from Game 2, with UH pushing ahead of the Eagles early in the game.

Klinkert homered to open the second inning followed by a home run from Shamblin three batters later.

An RBI single from Golden Eagle sophomore infielder Logan James brought the score to 2-1 in the fourth.

Grote hit a three-run double in the sixth, and Haley Valis had an RBI double and later scored on a throwing error to put the Cougars up 7-1.

The Golden Eagles scored two runs in the top of the seventh, but couldn’t force UH to come to bat in the seventh. The game ended 7-3.

Freshman pitcher Ballie Lott held the pitcher’s circle for six innings, giving up seven hits and three runs. She struck out three before Shamblin took over the final inning.

The Cougars will face Memphis on Saturday and Sunday at Cougar Softball Stadium.