Event preview: Bands battle for glory

Local rock bands will compete in the battle of the bands today at Frontier Fiesta, blasting everything from New York glam rock to grittier but still melodic metal from the main stage. The Frontier Fiesta kick-off event is a competition with a cash prize awarded to the band picked by a panel of judges, but mainly the bands are eager to show off their chops to the UH crowd.

In order of appearance, Thurday’s battle of the band lineup consists of The American Masquerade, Wings Burn Away, Osirus and Rigsby, followed by a headlining performance by the Drew Davis Band.

Osirus drummer and founder John Matranga describes the band’s music as an alternative driving rock sound with strong female vocals.

"Someone who comes to mind is Foo Fighters, but the difference is we have female vocals to it," he said.

The entire band collaborates in the songwriting process.

"One person will bring (an) idea in and we’ll expand off of that," he said.

Matranga, who bears a resemblance to Jon Stewart and former Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger, according the band’s Myspace page, graduated from the UH Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture.

"I’ve obviously spent a lot of time there, but I’ve never played Frontier Fiesta, so I’m really looking forward to it," he said.

Rigsby, a melodic rock group with keyboard and brass arrangements, bears similarities to Dave Matthews Bands.

"I grew up on Dave Matthews Band. They’re the biggest inspiration to me," David Saenz, Rigsby’s drummer said. "I love vast assortments of music. I’ve been in lots of different bands, but this is what I like to play best. It’s a lot more accessible to a larger fan base that we are aiming for (including the) college base," he said.

Wings Burn Away, also based out of Sugarland, is a heavier rock band that takes inspiration from a variety of genres. Vocalist Robert Hitchcock cites Queen and Sonata Arctica, a Finnish metal band, as his influences.

"I don’t really think of music as a competition, whether we win or lose I won’t see anyone’s music as better or worse than ours. It’s a new audience that we haven’t been able to play in front of. We are just happy to have a show to play, and it’s not about the competition," he said.

Saenz enjoys playing outdoor festivals. Recently, Rigsby performed at the Reach Music Festival, a charity event benefiting the Muscular Dystrophy Association of Houston in Sugarland.

"Bars have their ups and downs. There are funny drunk people and (you) get more of a music-scene feel as in places like Walter’s (on Washington)," Saenz said. "I like the festivals because of the exposure to people you normally wouldn’t get.

Wings Burn Away is working on a new EP and the band’s focus is getting the word out, Hitchcock said. The Frontier Fiesta battle of the bands starts at 8 p.m. Today at the main stage of Fiesta City near Robertson Stadium. Drew Davis Band comes on at 10 p.m.