Letter to the editor: Daily Cougar should focus on positive, get facts straight

To the editor:

I was very disappointed to once again find The Daily Cougar cherry-picking their facts and stories about events at our school: yesterday’s article about Frontier Fiesta was about parking! Instead of talking about the greatest event happenings at our school this year, you focus on parking. Instead of focusing on the positive aspects of Fiesta, Eric Llobet decided to focus on something that has been true since the 30s. The article could have talked about the scholarships we gave out to our students (more than $13,000) or maybe how Fiesta has been affecting school spirit positively for more than 25 years, or maybe even how Fiesta is the biggest student and alumni get-together of the year, but Llobet did not.

Llobet talked about parking, and he got his facts wrong. He said 81 percent of the parking around Robertson Stadium was closed off and all of lots 15D and 11A were closed. Only the part of 15D which is directly on the corner of Scott and Holman was closed, while the other 70 percent of 15D is still open. Lot 11A was never closed because it is the parking for Cougar Place.

In the future, if The Daily Cougar is going to malign something as great as Fiesta, make sure the facts are correct before you publish them to our student body. I hope The Daily Cougar will exhibit as much school spirit and pride in their university as the students who participated in Frontier Fiesta 2008.

Judah Johns chemistry and political science senior