Pass the Mike: Too many sports, too little time

My Sweet Lord Stanley

With the National Hockey League playoffs just a week away, look no further than the standings to see why the salary cap has equated parity in the league.

Between the first and eighth seeds in the eastern conference, the largest difference in points is a mere eight as of Tuesday (between current first place Pittsburg and eighth Boston). Seeds 4-8 are all separated by one to two points, making for a very interesting final week of the regular season.

The playoffs should be exciting, but the majority of the games will be broadcast on The Versus Network (one game per week on NBC for the first round) thus burying the Stanley Cup’s early round coverage from mainstream sports fans.

Goodbye Forever?

Legendary pro wrestler Ric "The Nature Boy" Flair had his 36-year career ended Sunday at WWE Wrestlemania in front of 74,635 fans at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Fla. After a spectacular 30-minute match, Flair was defeated by one of the best in the business, Shawn "The Heartbreak Kid" Michaels. Wrestlemania will return to Houston next year (the first ‘mania here since 2001), scheduled for April 9, 2009 at Reliant Stadium.

You’ve Got So Far To Go

Is it too early to start predicting the World Series for Major League Baseball? The Mets fan inside me would like to predict New York, but there is a lot to make up for after last season’s late collapse. The Astros will once again be golfing in October, as their bats may have improved, but the pitching still looks paper-thin.

Get Money

It would be in the best interest of the major television stations (NBC, ABC, FOX, CBS) to secure the Ultimate Fighting Championship to a contract. The UFC, the fastest growing sport in the world, scores huge ratings for Spike TV and pay-per-view purchase rates that run higher than those of boxing.

Keep ‘Em Coming

Call them bandwagon jumpers or those just riding the momentum, but it seems everyone is a Rockets fan at the moment. While their streak was truly an amazing feat, the Rockets are a well-coached team who fights and scraps for every win and loss. Rockets’ fans have a lot to be proud of, streak aside.