Students soak up knowledge at bar

When last call comes at Student Program Board bars, no one needs a taxi ride home.

An alcohol-free bar, tended by members of SPB, taught students to avoid the negative consequences of drinking by encouraging responsible habits Wednesday.

"What we are trying to do is to decrease drinking games, illegal drinking and drinking large quantities in short periods of time," Learning Support Services Director Gail Gillan said.

An Alcohol Awareness event sponsored by SPB and Cougar Peer Educators at the University Center aimed to educate students on controling drinking habits.

"This shows people that it’s OK not to get wasted, even though there is a lot of pressure to play drinking contests and other games," University Studies freshman Mareza Lopez said.

Students tasted non-alcoholic drinks and fill out a survey on drinking habits, drunken driving and awareness of safe behaviors, Gillan said.

A "mocktail" bar served drinks without alcohol to educate students about alternatives.

"Serving non-alcoholic drinks gives students the notion that they have an alternative when they are at a party and still be able to drive home," communication junior Cecily Hale said while mixing a "safe" Sex on the Beach mocktail.

Students could also receive free screenings from Counseling and Psychological Services, participate in interactive lessons in an electronic bar and talk to nutrition students about the effects of alcohol on the human body.

Workshops are also held every semester to educate students about the dangers and effects of alcohol, including illegal drinking and drunk driving, Gillan said.

Some students who attended the event said they don’t drink and aren’t influenced by friends even though drinking at social events is often expected.

"I’m the only one that doesn’t drink among my group of friends," management information system junior Blanca Garcia said. "If it’s not hard for me while constantly being around them, then it shouldn’t be hard for other people."