Staff Editorial: QEP important opportunity for students to offer input

The University of Houston is coming up for reaccredidation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools this spring and is taking the opportunity to improve students’ academic careers by encouraging research initiatives among undergraduates (see story, page 1).

The aim of the proposed UH Quality Enhancement Plan, titled The Discovery-Based Learning Initiative, and now a necessary part of the SACS reaccredidation process, is to give undergraduate students a chance to better implement their knowledge and skills before they graduate with a degree.

Skills learned from the program are intended to better prepare students for graduate school, or life in the so-called "real world," after graduation.

If implemented, the QEP has the potential to promote a better, more academic University because the plan should help motivate students to think outside the box rather than focus only on finishing school.

While the effort is undoubtedly meant to help in the long run, the University should not be satisfied if the QEP is approved by the UH System Board of Regents but should make more improvements to benefit the entire UH community.

So far, the QEP planning committee has received considerable feedback with more than 500 responses and ideas online, showing the UH community and individuals are actively involving themselves in the University’s future.

According to students, by far the largest constituency on campus, the University should view the reaccredidation process as a stepping-stone to do more to improve the student experience. While problems with PeopleSoft 8.9, parking and financial aid have been ongoing, administrators need to recognize students’ needs and address them, so those issues don’t conflict with the classroom experience and a quality education. Otherwise, students will continue to be tied up by long lines, straightening out problems that distract from gaining an education.

The opportunity for students, faculty, staff and others to provide feedback gives us hope that UH is trying to reach out to members of the community. We can only urge the University to continue with efforts to reach out, and listen to those who are most affected by decisions regarding the future of this University.

To include your input on the QEP, visit www.uh.edu/discovery and click on the "Feedback" link to fill out the online feedback form.