Five Minutes: Junior looks forward to reading, better Internet in summer

Dominic Dames: What are you looking forward to most about the summer?

J.D. Kelley, physics junior: Not really much, except getting some reading done, I suppose.

Dames: What do you like to read?

Kelley: Science books and recently novels by Chuck Palahniuk, the guy who did Fight Club.

Dames: What books do you plan on reading this summer?

Kelley: There are a few Neurology books by V.S. Ramachandran. That’s probably my favorite subject to read by pleasure.

Dames: Anything else you plan to do or catch up on?

Kelley: I live in Kingwood. Generally, a pretty lazy time. I have a better Internet connection there too.

Dames: So I take it you live on campus?

Kelley: I do. I live in Moody Towers.

Dames: You have problems with the Internet there?

Kelley: I have a problem with keeping up a decent connection, which is pretty inconvenient.

Dames: How do you like living at the Towers?

Kelley: Very convenient and, as a smoker, I spend a lot of time on the porch, which is a good social environment. Aramark really doesn’t care for the students too much. UH treats the Towers as substandard housing. The Towers are getting phased out.

Dames: Are you going to be living in the Towers when you come back in the fall?

Kelley: Yeah, I like living by myself and I’d rather have a tiny room by myself and I really have no use for a kitchen.

Dames: Do you like to play video games in your spare time?

Kelley: I would, but I don’t get a lot of time.

Dames: What about movies?

Kelley: Over the summer I’ll try to download a few movies. I usually like weird and unusual movies.

Dames: Like which ones?

Kelley: Equilibrium, The Fountain is great, Death to Smoochy.

Dames: I liked Equilibrium. The movie had a world where free expression was contained. Do you think we will ever live in a future like that?

Kelley: No, I think our culture is accelerating in its creativity and it’s too hard to contain and set boundaries at this point.