Reservations for Six: Rockets must step up game to best Utah Jazz

The Houston Rockets are leaving the state of Texas after losing both home games to their nemesis, the Utah Jazz in the first round of the NBA Finals at the Toyota Center. The Jazz won both games in Houston after going 17-24 on the road during the regular season, the second worst road record of any playoff team.

In Game 1 of the best-of-seven series, Utah beat Houston 93-82. Jazz guard Deron Williams led the way with 20 points and 10 assists, forward Carlos Boozer had 20 points and 16 rebounds, and swingman Andrei Kirilenko surprised everyone with 21 points and four rebounds.

The Rockets were led by forward Shane Battier’s 22 points while guard Tracy McGrady added 20 points.

Houston realized it needed a split in the series, but lost 90-84 in Game 2 on Monday. McGrady had 23 points, 13 rebounds and nine assists, but a 17-point fourth quarter proved costly as the Rockets dropped their third consecutive home playoff game to the Jazz, dating to last season’s NBA playoffs.

Jazz center Mehmet Okur scored 16 points and grabbed 16 rebounds while Williams added 22 points, even while battling a sore lower back.

The Jazz can look forward to playing at home for the next two games, having gone a league-best 37-4 record this season at EnergySolutions Arena. The Jazz became the sixth team in the last 10 seasons to win the first two road games of a best of seven series.

The only team to lose a series after winning the first two games on the road is, surprisingly enough, the 2005 Rockets, who lost the series to the Dallas Mavericks in game seven by 40 points.

Houston must play better in Game 3 if they don’t want to avoid being swept after having won 55 regular season games. In game 2 at home, the Rockets shot a dismal 21.1 percent from three-point range and 61.5 percent from the free throw line.

Forward Chuck Hayes grabbed 10 rebounds and guard Aaron Brooks added 11 points off the bench in the loss, but Houston is desperately missing its two starters in center Yao Ming and guard Rafer Alston, who looks to make a return for Game 3 in Utah on Thursday.

McGrady and the Rockets will probably not get out of the first round this year. Houston fans should give McGrady, who is playing without Yao and Alston, a pass. McGrady played 43 minutes against an extremely physical Utah team and just got tired at the end of the game.

The Rockets need other players to step up if they plan on making it a series. With Alston back for Thursday, Game 3 can be a game the Rockets steal in Utah.