Fighting Words

Jong Lee

Avery will move team forward

First of all, congratulations to Donnie Avery for being the first receiver taken in this year’s draft. Avery will have a big impact for the St. Louis Rams. The Rams have no depth at the position behind Torry Holt and Avery should fit nicely into the second or third spot within their group of receivers. Avery is going to come in and immediately become the slot receiver for the Rams. His speed is made for the type of offense the Rams run. He will help St. Louis spread the field and open up the running game for running back Steven Jackson. But health will be a concern for St. Louis. The Rams could enjoy a great season in a lousy division with Avery. He will end up with 50 to 55 catches with 600 yards and four touchdowns – count on it.

Chief Achilefu

Impact will definitely be felt

Jong, if you did your homework, you’d see that of all 2007 rookie wide receivers, only one had more than 50 receptions and two compiled more than 600 yards. Both were taken in the first round. That’s not to say Avery can’t reach those numbers, because he did have one of the most prolific offensive seasons in UH history. His great hands and speed give Rams’ quarterback Marc Bulger yet another weapon to throw to and the idea of Avery and wide receiver Dante Hall in the return game is flat out scary. He’ll contribute in the receiving game, but with wide receiver Torry Holt still very productive and running back Steven Jackson commanding 20-25 carries-per-game, I expect Avery to make his presence felt early on in the return game, while catching 30-40 passes. Do your thing, D.A.

Eli Jabbe

Give the man more credit

Jong, I think you’ve overdosed on that Hater-ade, buddy. Four touchdowns is too low of a prediction and it seems you’re refusing to acknowledge the skills Donnie Avery displayed here at UH, particularly in his senior season (does the 427 yard and 2 touchdowns in the Rice game ring any bells?). I’m predicting he will reach the double figures in touchdowns. Drew Bennett may have had one bad season, but he is known to be a threat. Regardless, playing opposite Torry Holt will mean Avery will get good looks from the defense. Avery will continue the tradition of great St. Louis receivers like Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt. Chief, your statement didn’t make much sense. You rambled on about how Jong predicted too many catches for Avery, then started talking about the great things he’s done at UH. Make up your mind. What side are you on?

Judge Dredd

Let’s keep it real

Judge Dredd understands Donnie Avery kicked so much butt this last season at UH that half of the student body went blind, but come on Eli. Ten touchdowns or more in one season is crazy-hard to do. Doing that is like an automatic trip to the Pro Bowl. If Judge Dredd’s memory serves him correctly, the last receiver to do that was future Hall of Famer Randy Moss (17 touchdowns in 1998). Avery is good, and is going to a team that likes to spread the field, but Judge Dredd would be surprised if Avery catches more than 10 touchdowns as the second or third receiver with an aging Bulger behind center. Five touchdown receptions and 600 to 700 yards seems to be an accurate prediction for a receiver of Avery’s caliber in a rookie season. And that wouldn’t be too shabby Verdict: Jong wins, and Anthony Alridge will tear it up in Denver. He said he was going to make all the teams that didn’t draft him pay. Judge Dredd expects to see him back that up.