UH softball sweeps weekend series

Houston pulled off its fifth conference sweep of the season over the weekend, beating Alabama-Birmingham twice Saturday and once on Sunday.

Senior Angel Shamblin pitched another gem for the Cougars in Game 3, allowing just one hit through five innings and not allowing a run.

Shamblin was backed by two four-run innings, giving Houston the 8-0 win.

Up 4-0 in the fifth inning, junior infielder Christa Raley started a Houston rally with a solo home run to left field. After a single by junior shortstop Jessica Valis and junior centerfielder Katie Bush reached on a fielder’s choice, freshman first baseman Jennifer Klinkert hit the second home run of the inning, clearing the bases and securing the win.

The Blazers started Game 2 scoring two runs in the bottom of the first with a two-run homer from junior right fielder Kayla Harris.

Houston answered in the top of the second with five runs of its own. Junior second baseman Haley Valis doubled to bring in Klinkert, and senior outfielder Amanda Grote scored on a wild pitch.

Haley Valis scored on a fielding error by Blazers freshman shortstop Kayla Orr. RBI singles from Jessica Valis and senior catcher Elaina Nordstrom put the Cougars up 5-2.

Blazers freshman first baseman Laura Callaway scored in the bottom of the second inning, bringing the game to 5-3.

Junior outfielder Laurie Wagner scored in the top of the third inning when freshman pitcher Baillie Lot reached first on a fielder’s choice. Raley hit an RBI single, and Nordstrom walked with the bases loaded, giving Houston three more runs in the top of the third.

The Cougars maintained their lead without scoring any more runs, while preventing the Blazers from scoring, giving Houston the 8-3 win.

"We did just enough things wrong to negate the good," head coach Kyla Holas said. "We need to win ball games convincingly this late in the season and stop giving things away."

Senior pitcher Barbie Love pitched all seven innings, giving up four hits and three runs while striking out nine.

Houston kicked off Game 1 by scoring a run on a sacrifice bunt from Bush in the top of the first inning. They then scored two runs in the top of the fourth with a two-run homer from junior outfielder Laurie Wagner.

The final run of the game came in the top of the sixth with an RBI double from Jessica Valis and the Cougars won 4-0.

Shamblin pitched the entire game, giving up two hits and striking out nine.

"This last week is huge for us," Holas said. "The last 10 games play heavily in rankings for regionals. We need to finish strong this week and focus."