Softball: UH rallies to defeat Louisiana-Lafayette in NCAA Super-Regionals

Although the offense didn’t exactly get off to an early start, the Cougars will take it anyway.

UH senior pitcher Angel Shamblin didn’t get her first strikeout of the game until the bottom of the fifth and UH did not score until the sixth, but the Cougars put up six runs in the inning to defeat Louisiana-Lafayette 6-3 at Cougar Softball Stadium in game two of the NCAA Super-Regionals.

At the top of the sixth, the Cougars were down two runs due to homers by Ragin Cajun seniors second baseman Vanessa Soto and outfielder Holly Tankersley.

Junior outfielder Katy Bush reached base on a fielding error. Junior catcher Elaina Nordstrom struck out on the next at bat, but ULL sophomore pitcher Brittany Cuevas walked freshman infielder Jennifer Klinkert to put her on first and Bush on second. Both players advanced on a wild pitch to junior outfielder Laurie Wagner.

Senior outfielder Amanda Grote singled to score Bush and give the Cougars their first score of the game.

Freshman pitcher Ashley Brignac came into the game for the Ragin Cajuns, but Klinkert scored on a balk to tie the game at 2-2. Junior infielder Haley Valis was hit by a wild pitch to advance to first and load the bases, but Shamblin struck out swinging.

Playing with two outs, the Cougars scored four more times before the end of the inning.

Junior infielder Christa Raley was hit by a pitch to score freshman outfielder Katy Beth Sherman, who pinch ran for Klinkert and put the score at 3-2.

Junior infielder Jessica Valis singled and reached second on the throw, allowing both H. Valis and Grote to score and give the Cougars a 5-2 lead.

Freshman pitcer Donna Bourgeois replaced Brignac, but Bush singled to score Raley to put the Cougars ahead 6-2 before Nordstrom struck out swinging to give the Cougars their third out.

Shamblin and the Cougar defense took care of business, getting three consecutive outs in the bottom of the sixth. The Cougars did not add to their lead in the seventh, but were able to hold off ULL in the bottom of the inning.

ULL freshman outfielder Katie Smith reached base on a single and scored off a sacrifice fly by Soto to put the score at 6-3. With the bases loaded, sophomore catcher Lana Bowers lined into a double play at third base to end the game and tie the series.