Former UH football player dies

Former UH football player Linton Weatherspoon died of leukemia at age 38 on June 5 at M.D. Anderson hospital.

"It was basically his love for football that drove him to the University," Linton Weatherspoon’s father John Weatherspoon said. "He was happy playing football for the University. He just enjoyed playing football really, especially with his brother Chuck who was also on the team."

Linton Weatherspoon was diagnosed with the condition in 2000 and received a bone marrow transplant in 2001. About four or five months ago, the leukemia returned. After an eight-year struggle, the disease finally proved fatal for him.

"He wanted to be proactive and take a stand against the disease," John Weatherspoon said. "That’s exactly what he did and fought a gallant fight against leukemia."

Weatherspoon played football for the Cougars from 1990 to 1991 under coach Jack Pardee as an offensive lineman known by his jersey number, 56. In 1990, he was a team member during the probation decreed by the NCAA where the Cougars were prohibited to play in bowl games or nationally televised games.

"He had a great passion for football but he also pushed forward for whatever he wanted," John Weatherspoon said. "Toward the end of his career at UH, he realized that he should share his academic gifts as well. That’s when he pushed for a degree in mathematics. UH let him realize this."

After his career with the Cougars, Linton Weatherspoon transferred to TSU where he received bachelor’s and master’s degrees in mathematics before teaching at HCC.